lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #1
Kenivek11
Not Yet Wild

Smile TXT has no power

I apologize as I know some version of this question has been asked before, but hopefully some kind person can help. My TXT has new carb, fuel pump and fuel filter. Just adjusted the valves and the plugs look good. High RPM when in “neutral” but when I take on the road it barely putts along. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
Kenivek11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT has no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenivek11 View Post
I apologize as I know some version of this question has been asked before, but hopefully some kind person can help. My TXT has new carb, fuel pump and fuel filter. Just adjusted the valves and the plugs look good. High RPM when in “neutral” but when I take on the road it barely putts along. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
You say new carb ? from an ezgo dealer ?
I do think we would have to know more info before anyone could offer help. Lift kit installed ? larger tires ? driven clutch good ? When you push gas pedal with key switch off is the throttle opening all the way ?
Have you checked the charging system ?
What is the compression on both cylinders ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
Kenivek11
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2000 TXT slow running

Thank you for the reply. To clarify, it is not driven frequently and the loss of power seemed to happen all at once. I replaced the carb and fuel filter with aftermarket parts, but made no difference and ran exactly the same. I then adjusted the valves using a feeler gauge but did not have a compression tester. The cart is all original (no modifications) and never had anything done other than battery, plugs, oil change, etc. that’s about the extent of my knowledge so I do not know anything about a charging system but throttle seems to be opening. It sounds like my next task should be to get a compression gauge and check that.

What minimum PSI should it have? Anything else I should consider such as drive belt or exhaust?
Old 08-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Normal PSI should read around 125 psi...ha e seen them run a bit higher or lower but that’s around average, A good trick without a gauge is to simply put cart in neutral and try to turn over primary clutch with one hand a few rotations...if you can accomplish this with one hand...you have low compression or a valve issue...assuming you have both spark plugs in that is ;) should be a slight struggle to turn over by hand at a certain point...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
Kenivek11
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. I will check the compression. If less than 125 PSI then I may have to take it somewhere at that point if is too complicated a fix.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

The compression answer is not correct. Should have 170 if you want it to perform correct. Leave one spark plug in head when testing. Make sure throttle is all the way open. I disconnect one of the small wires on coil when I check them. The manual said to remove the drive belt but I normally don't. 150 psi will run but not good. You are looking for the 170 mark.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
Kenivek11
Not Yet Wild

I will get a compression gauge and check but if it is low, can someone tell me what that will mean for the engine? What am I looking at for just having it repaired back to running condition? and is the fix something a DIY’er could do or need to have a professional repair? Thank you all.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #8
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenivek11 View Post
I will get a compression gauge and check but if it is low, can someone tell me what that will mean for the engine? What am I looking at for just having it repaired back to running condition? and is the fix something a DIY’er could do or need to have a professional repair? Thank you all.
Lets wait and see what your compression is. Might be good and you have other problems. I think you could probably fix this.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #9
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Back at my shop...here’s a shot straight from the EZGo Manual for clarity ;) sorry it’s sideways I didn’t wanna make it to small...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A551FBE8-D2B1-4E30-8191-E6A7B5F3EBB3.jpeg (93.3 KB, 0 views)
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
Back at my shop...here’s a shot straight from the EZGo Manual for clarity ;) sorry it’s sideways I didn’t wanna make it to small...
I agree that the manual states what you said and didn't mean to dispute what you posted. An engine with 140 psi that has not just been rebuilt has issues and not far from needing some work. Could be intake valves , worn cylinder , pistons or rings. Maybe all of these.

I just know from working on these carts for many years that a good engine not in decline will show 170 to 175 psi of compression.

One with 140 psi and valves adjusted is not going to perform as the engines with the 170 plus compression.

I own three, two 9hp and one 11 hp of these pre mci engines. All of mine have 175 psi of compression on both cylinders, checked with more than one gauge.

They run great and respond quick when pushing gas pedal, no delays at all. Only one of these I did a complete rebuild. The other two I did the intakes and timing belt only .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo compression.jpg (241.2 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO