lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
DoubleBarS
Not Yet Wild

Default '91 Marathon Controller/ Crawls up to speed

Hello everyone,

I have a '91 marathon controller cart that all of a sudden started moving at turtle speeds. It did this once before, and after sitting for three days, it started working again. I played 72 holes after it came back to life, and on hole 73, it messed up again. I had stopped to wait for another person to hit, and when I hit the pedal, it just barely moved. If you stick with it, it will eventually get up to full speed. It acts like it has no low speed torque, at all.

I know that the marathon was a wuss cart for torque anyway, but this is not normal. I have checked the batteries individually and as a whole, and they are all good. I replaced the F & R switch since one of the contacts didn't look up to par, but it still does it. The soleniod engages as it should, and the pot box gives an accurate reading of 0-5K ohms. If you fiddle with the micro switch above the pot box while depressing the pedal, it will give a momentary jerk, as if it wants to go, but never does.

Anybody have any ideas? Please help.
DoubleBarS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: '91 Marathon Controller/ Crawls up to speed

The $200.00 Craigs List '92 Marathon I bought this Summer did the same thing. I put new batteries in it and it would hardly move. If I kept stepping on and off the throttle it would slowly get more power and finally go normally. If it set for a while it would do the same thing again. I replaced the controller with a Alltrax AXE 4844 and added a seventh battery in the center space after moving the controller bracket back. No more problem.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

So, jauguston, you are saying it was a controller problem ??? I would say it was a battery problem. Load test all of the batteries and see?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
DoubleBarS
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input.

All batteries have been load tested, and show good. I really hope it is not the controller.

By the way, this is a lifted cart with stock controller. The motor has been replaced with one that came out of a 2001 ez-go. I'm not sure if this motor has some sort of speed sensor built into it, nor would I know how to find out. There was nothing wrong with the original motor, the newer one was supposed to be 1/2 hp bigger. This was done about 8 months ago. About three weeks ago, I replaced all the cables on just the pack with 4ga welding cable, but have not done the rest.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

That motor wont work in a series cart. (that is if theres a sensor on the rear of the motor) Post the motor numbers, maybe even a pic.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
DoubleBarS
Not Yet Wild

It may be from a 2000 cart, but either way it has been working for about 8 months (using it daily). There isn't anything on the rear of the motor, unless it is internal.

Again, thank you all for your replies. I appreciate any and all input.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Ok, I saw where you said something about a sensor. This should be the manual for your controller. There are testing procedures in there. Curtis Controller manual
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty,

Yes. The controller was causing the problem. It was a Curtis 1204-027. I replaced the controller and the problem went away.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Thanks for letting us know it really helps the next guy who starts reading this in hopes of fixing his problem
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
DoubleBarS
Not Yet Wild

Based on what I have found, it looks like it is the controller. I will be ordering a 400amp Alltrax controller tomorrow. Hopefully it will provide a decent torque improvement.

The controller I'm looking at is alltrax item#493. Has anyone used this with a lifted cart and stock motor? I would rather have a programable, but I can't afford to pay that much.

Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO