lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

Default My Icon Accessory Set-up

I think I am finished accessorizing my Icon I40L. The purpose of this post is to share what I installed and how I did it. I am not an electrician by any means so please no comments what I could have done differently or how messy my wiring is. I put a lot of time trying to figure all this out and made plenty of mistakes along the way. Hopefully this post can save you some time and duplicating the same errors that I made. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

**Not sure why my pictures aren't rotated correctly...sorry**

To begin with I needed power for pretty much all of these accessories. Thanks to ATrain I ordered my low AMP sub panel that included a buss bar. The one at my local auto parts stores did not have a place for any ground hookups to I ordered the one from Amazon. I also used a "fuse tap" to supply power to my sub panel. Remember that the fuse tap needs to have fuses in BOTH slots otherwise it wont work (not sure why). For the ground I tapped into the BLACK wire coming out of the stock USB ports. ATrain referenced using the BLUE wire but on my machine the ground was BLACK...which I know is the universal color for the negative pole.

20201216_170501.jpg

20201216_170452.jpg

In the wide angle picture you can see the green wire hooked up to the ground on my sub panel. Out of the frame that same green wire connects to the black ground wire aforementioned earlier. In the fuse tap picture you can see the two fuses clearly. The fuse slot all the way to the LEFT is wired for power but nothing is hooked up to it so this was perfect for what I wanted to do. With the ignition turned on it was putting out 11 volts in case you wanted to know. And yes, every circuit on Icon's is ignition controlled.

Next to the sub panel you can so another black box with a white label.

20201216_170509.jpg

This is a hard wired GPS tracker. I decided to get this because I have kids that drive the cart and I live in an area where people might decide to steal my cart so this addition just gives me a little piece of mind. I am able to setup a geo fence so if the golf cart travels outside of that specific area I will get a notification right away. It does have an internal battery that will last two weeks or so but even if the battery is dead once you turn on the cart the tracker will begin to track and charge.

The last point I want to make is about power switches. I ordered the toggle switches that are similar to the forward/reverse switch that comes with every Icon. However, after hooking everything up the top cover to the electrical access area (the thing that has the cup holders and speedometer) would NOT go back on. The issue was the switches that I installed because they recess way too far back. So I ordered the smaller round switches instead and they work with ONE modification. You need to bend the connectors down and then connect your power/ground wires.

20201216_170523.jpg
20201216_170551.jpg
thelandposse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: My Icon Accessory Set-up (Continued)

So now that I have detailed how the wiring works I wanted to shared the specific accessories that I installed.

Front light bar

20201216_170636.jpg

Rear light bar and JLB Xtreme BT speaker with holder

20201216_170618.jpg

Led ground affect lights and the switch

20201216_170436.jpg
20201216_170602.jpg

Below are all the links to the items I ordered to make this happen. If you have any questions please let me know!

GPS Tracker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front Light Bar AND mount kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear Light Bar (cheap): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuse/sub panel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fuse taps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LED ground lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Switches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Grip tape for rear seat foot rests: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speaker holder: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201216_170551.jpg (265.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default Re: My Icon Accessory Set-up

Uhh...and no final picture??

Looks great though! My question is, what do people actually DO with the light bars...especially the rear one?

The front kind of makes sense to help w/the headlights at night, but what do you do with the rear? Or are the lights just for getting in/out at night and seeing stuff when it's parked?

One suggestion you might like, and is super easy, is doing LED lights inside the canopy area too. I did that on my cart and I strapped them to the top of the bar so they shine up and it really helps w/cart visibility at night and it doesn't distract me at all.

I'm going to do a picture of my cart & mods at some point, I just need to get around to it.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
WGflyer
Not Yet Wild

Nice job! Thanks for all the links, they will come in handy. I like the GPS tracker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WGflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Uhh...and no final picture??

Looks great though! My question is, what do people actually DO with the light bars...especially the rear one?

The front kind of makes sense to help w/the headlights at night, but what do you do with the rear? Or are the lights just for getting in/out at night and seeing stuff when it's parked?

One suggestion you might like, and is super easy, is doing LED lights inside the canopy area too. I did that on my cart and I strapped them to the top of the bar so they shine up and it really helps w/cart visibility at night and it doesn't distract me at all.

I'm going to do a picture of my cart & mods at some point, I just need to get around to it.
Do you have a link for the interior lights? I spent a little time searching Amazon looking but I didn't really know what to search for. There is one more open panel to add an electrical switch and I was thinking about using it for interior lights.

About the rear led light bar. I have to back into my garage when parking AND the space is pretty tight. If I am pulling in at nights the led light bar makes it a lot easier to accomplish this without stopping to turn on the overhead florescent lights.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
thelandposse
Not Yet Wild

One more sideways picture to add. This is the grip tape that I added.

Attachment 213822
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16086812033781196239283237803983.jpg (203.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #8
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelandposse View Post
Do you have a link for the interior lights? I spent a little time searching Amazon looking but I didn't really know what to search for. There is one more open panel to add an electrical switch and I was thinking about using it for interior lights.

About the rear led light bar. I have to back into my garage when parking AND the space is pretty tight. If I am pulling in at nights the led light bar makes it a lot easier to accomplish this without stopping to turn on the overhead florescent lights.
I used these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q6CPQK4

The lights are such low power, they could easily share the same fuse as your underbody lights.

I put them on TOP of the roof tubing so they wouldn't shine in my eyes, but they might work below. The black top looks great on your cart, but I can see it absorbing a lot of the light so you might try a few positions if you end up doing them. Plenty of slack to work with too.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
holemania
Not Yet Wild

landposse,
i am considering to purchase an icon i60l cart...i test drove one at dealer yesterday.
i had a discussion about adding under-carriage LED lights and sound bar and was told they install voltage reducer but only run it off 2 8v batteries. i would much rather install a 48v-12v reducer connected to the entire battery bank.
did you install a separate 48v-12v voltage reducer?
or did you utilize the manufacturer 48v-12v reducer (maybe the 12v aux output).
i think the reducer already installed is only rated at 15amps.
thanks for any feedback!
Dave
holemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #10
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemania View Post
landposse,
i am considering to purchase an icon i60l cart...i test drove one at dealer yesterday.
i had a discussion about adding under-carriage LED lights and sound bar and was told they install voltage reducer but only run it off 2 8v batteries. i would much rather install a 48v-12v reducer connected to the entire battery bank.
did you install a separate 48v-12v voltage reducer?
or did you utilize the manufacturer 48v-12v reducer (maybe the 12v aux output).
i think the reducer already installed is only rated at 15amps.
thanks for any feedback!
Dave
Check this post for some discussion on the reducer.

I'd say you're fine to use the factory one. I'd be surprised if it was rated at only 15 amps because I'd imagine I'm regularly pulling more than that. Either way, it holds up perfectly with all the junk I'm running on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon