lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #1
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Thoughts on this Onward?

I just found a used 2018 Onward priced at about $6,700, which seems like a good price. I'm not crazy about the color, but the price fits nicely with my budget. The person selling is willing to swap the top with a black one. Now, I just need to change the color of the seats - beige on this isn't my thing. I see seat covers on eBay for less than a hundred. However, the pics almost always show them flat which cover more of a standard bench seat, not like the premium seats that are on this cart. Would they work just as well or should I be looking for seat covers designed specifically for the premium onward carts?

Any other thoughts on this cart would be greatly appreciated! I'm considering picking it up today, but just need to have a plan for the seats as I don't like the color combo. I think I may elect to paint the body later as well, but that can wait.

Here is a picture of the seat covers that I was looking at - priced at just 29 bucks.

Theorangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
Jack Daniels
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Thoughts on this Onward?

seems like a decent price in todays market. Also think the current seats look good, better than the cover you posted.
Jack Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
seems like a decent price in todays market. Also think the current seats look good, better than the cover you posted.
Funny you say that, as I think you're right. It's just not really the color scheme that ideally I would like.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is a sharp cart. Forget the seat covers. They do not fit like the photo shows. Look at the ones on my '99. That's about the best fit you can get. I love them though as I hate vinyl seats in the summer. These give a good ventilation factor.

The price is probably right for a 3 year old onward. Just keep in mind they are 3 year old batteries unless they have been changed. You may only get two more years before replacements are needed. Or could it be lithium?

And the top speed of that cart will be 19.9 mph. No chance of increasing the speed without a new controller. If 19.9 is ok for you, then it might be a good choice.

BTW, black tops LOOK cooler but light tops ARE cooler!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
That is a sharp cart. Forget the seat covers. They do not fit like the photo shows. Look at the ones on my '99. That's about the best fit you can get. I love them though as I hate vinyl seats in the summer. These give a good ventilation factor.

The price is probably right for a 3 year old onward. Just keep in mind they are 3 year old batteries unless they have been changed. You may only get two more years before replacements are needed. Or could it be lithium?

And the top speed of that cart will be 19.9 mph. No chance of increasing the speed without a new controller. If 19.9 is ok for you, then it might be a good choice.

I'll second that
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:42 PM   #6
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

Isn you get it try out the seats before you get rid of them. They are the Club Car premium seats and are more comfortable than standard gold cart seats. I added them to my cart when I was building it. They are not cheap to buy. As for the body, if you go with it you will be stuck with that color unless you have it painted. Onward bodies cannot just be swapped as Club Car controls the parts on them. It would be a pain to get a new body.

If you fix it up a bit you might be happy with how it ends up looking.
hunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #7
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Maybe I just keep the seats and have this painted black. The guy selling this cart said he could do it for about $500. Any thoughts on having a cart painted? Does $500 seem reasonable? $500 for painting would still only bring the cost to $7,200. Since he's a private seller, no tax or dealer fees so that would be nice.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #8
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post

What do you mean that light tops are cooler? It's the roof - does that really make a difference to the temperature inside the cart??
Old 05-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes. We tested this once. Two carts side by side sitting in the sun in a parking lot in the Atlanta area in the summer. Same brand of cart with the same configuration except one a black canopy and the other white. Both were the long canopies covering the rear seat and both the canopies were from the same manufacturer (Doubletake). Test lasted about 30 minutes. It was definitely much hotter under the black canopy. Test was early afternoon so sun was high. However, this test was not scientific. YMMV

I don't think this would matter much when the cart is moving. If I wanted a black top I would get it. After 20 years of cart ownership I don't recall spending much time in a cart parked in the sun other than this one time to see if the black top was hotter.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:15 AM   #10
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorangeman View Post
What do you mean that light tops are cooler? It's the roof - does that really make a difference to the temperature inside the cart??
Kernal's test proves it in my opinion.

Another test: Go to a cart dealer and put your hand on a black top and a white top that are sitting in the sun. You can leave your hand on the white top for a long time....not on the black one. That heat absorbed by the black top will transmit down to your head while you are riding.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car