lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2022, 11:50 AM   #11
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1978 EZGO points/timing question

I couldn't find a manual for your year with points, but on my 85 (same engine but with electronic ignition) it says in forward the timing is 18* BTDC. It says for reverse it'll be 21* BTDC, it also states by setting it at 18* in forward the reverse timing will automatically be right....

So, in your case I'd say you're very close now. Maybe back it off a hair and reverse will be whatever it is, but after TDC isn't good. Good Luck and keep us posted.

EDIT; just another thought on how you're checking the reverse timing. You must rotate the flywheel backwards as so the lobe will open the points from its other side, hope that made sense.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #12
ddesi16127
Not Yet Wild

'78 manual says "Timing 20 degree Before Top Dead Center".

Because of the way I had to extend and notch the existing screw channels in the timing adjusting plate - it is where it is (by luck) around 20 degrees - it can't really be tweaked without more hacking. Not sure that's worth my time at the moment, but I do think I'll buy another points & plate set anyway to have onhand in case something goes wrong with it in the future.

Yes on the measurement of reverse timing procedure. When I had the flywheel off I marked off a few 10 degree increments before and after TDC (forward) and TDC (reverse). The motor is mounted in the cart so these timing numbers are probably +/- a degree or 2 of accuracy when I was measuring it. I think if I ever have to pull the motor out again for some reason I'll try to dial things in better.

I will say on the test drive it did feel a bit under power....maybe seemed like it should be a bit faster. I need to see if I'm at leasting hitting that 12 MPH factory guideline. Just going to use it for me and the kids to run around the neighborhood so it doesn't have to be a fast one.
ddesi16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #13
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Ok good enough then, glad it's running to your expectations . 12mph is about what mine did with the Gov connected, after disconnecting it it'll now do a little over 20mph. Thanks for the update
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1978, ez-go, gx-444, points, timing
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO