lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #1
lil john
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Overcharging new batteries?

I did a forum search on this problem and could not find a good answer..But here goes...After 2 years of sitting I finally installed new Trojans and #4 cables in my 07 club car 48v..Now when I plug in my charger (power drive) she will not cut off after over 8 hours of charging. I can hear the batteries bubbling which tells me there getting over charged..I looked on line and found a battery charger kit which will replace my rectifier..Has anyone ran into this problem..
lil john is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Overcharging new batteries?

Just to be sure we understand...the cart sat unused for 2 years...and then you installed new batteries...right? Were the old batteries completely dead? Have you gone through the OBC reset procedure? Have you read the procedure for breaking in new batteries? Sometimes the first charge on new batteries lasts longer than you think. Most would say let it charge until it clicks off...
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Overcharging new batteries?

the initial charge may take as long as 16 hours. Let the charger run its course. The bubbling is normal. Do you have a DVM? Voltage on charger may go as high as 60+.
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

No the sound of bubbling is by NO means a clear indication of overcharging at all....

New batteries can easily take upwards of 16 hours to come to a complete charge and may in fact need several charging to get to that point...

New batteries may indeed be vocal and bubble loudly until they become used to being charged...

If you don't know what voltage your charger is building the battery voltage up to during the charge and/or your static rested voltage after being unplugged from the charger you really have no idea if it was over charging unless there as boil water on top of the batteries...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil john View Post
....I looked on line and found a battery charger kit which will replace my rectifier...
Generally speaking a rectifier kit and/or diode replacement in the charger is needed in the case of "NO CHARGE" along with breaker tripping...
Old 06-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
lil john
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
Just to be sure we understand...the cart sat unused for 2 years...and then you installed new batteries...right? Were the old batteries completely dead? Have you gone through the OBC reset procedure? Have you read the procedure for breaking in new batteries? Sometimes the first charge on new batteries lasts longer than you think. Most would say let it charge until it clicks off...
Yes on old batteries. No on the OBC reset and no I have not read the procedure for breaking in new batteries..So I will go now reconnect the charger let it charge and read up on the procedure for breaking in new batteries..
Old 06-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
lil john
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecky50 View Post
the initial charge may take as long as 16 hours. Let the charger run its course. The bubbling is normal. Do you have a DVM? Voltage on charger may go as high as 60+.
Digital Volt meter? Then yes...
Old 06-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
lil john
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok I went over on how to reset the OBC in the sticky is there a sticky on where I can find info on how to break in batteries?..( Google)
Old 06-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
lil john
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Got it..
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...cedures-2.html
Thanks..
Old 06-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Battery break in means not abusing or neglecting... For several charge intervals do not draw the batteries below 49.5 volts before plugging back in for a full time out charge. A properly functioning OBC & PD charger will time you out at 16 hours if charging is not complete. Once you have gotten 8 to 10 charge intervals under the belt never draw your batteries down past 48.5 volts unless you have little to no choice as damage may occur and never leave your batteries for any extended length of time in a discharged state... Best advise is if not riding it charge it!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car