lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default 90s Regen 1, solenoid / key switch issue

Fellas,

I am helping my elderly camp neighbor get her cart running. It has newer batts that test fine at around 51v across the pack. It's a 90s Regen 1. Not sure of the exact year but the wiring diagram for the cart is attached. The main solenoid wasn't clicking with the key switch and, obviously, the cart wouldn't run. When I jumped the main solenoid the cart ran fine. I was able to get a new solenoid and popped it in but, unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue. Still no click with the switch and the cart only runs with the new solenoid jumped. It appears that the main solenoid isn't getting enough voltage to activate the solenoid.

Am I right to assume the key switch and / or wiring associated with it is probably bad?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1996-Regen-1-HiRes.jpg (116.4 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 90s Regen 1, solenoid / key switch issue

Quote:
The main solenoid wasn't clicking with the key switch
I think the answer to the problem is contained in this statement. Its not volts to the solenoid (I suspect if you measure the small terminals on the solenoid you will see ZERO volts when turning the switch).

More likely, it is the OBC/charging lockout circuit that has failed. The OBC will lockout the key/main solenoid function, so people will not foolishly drive away with the charger plugged in - and it sounds from your description, like that circuit has failed.

Here's a test/bypass (almost verbatim from the manual) to see if that's the issue.

On-board Computer By-pass

1. Turn the key switch to OFF and place the forward and reverse switch in NEUTRAL. Leave the batteries connected and leave the Z plug connected to the controller.
2. Locate the yellow wire at the Z12 position on the Z plug. Unplug the bullet connector in the yellow wire approximately three inches (7.6 cm) from the Z plug.
3. Connect an 18 gauge jumper wire to the female bullet connector on the end of the yellow wire coming from the Z plug. Connect the other end of the jumper wire to the main negative (-) post.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Forgot to mention....Assuming the OBC lockout circuit IS the problem, and the cart is charging normally, otherwise - you can leave the bypass in place (and not have to buy a new/replacement OBC). But if your neighbor is at all forgetful, make sure you teach her to loop the charging cable thru the steering wheel before plugging it into the socket. That way, she will never drive off without realizing the charger is still plugged-in.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

This is great information, man. Really appreciate it. I am assuming that bypassing the OBC this way won't affect charging, correct?

I'll post how it goes.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
bypassing the OBC this way won't affect charging, correct?
No - it won't hurt the charging process - just the "safety lockout" associated with it. BUT, it is an indication that the OBC "might" have other issues going on, so its worth confirming that the charger works normally and that the batteries are getting a full charge. BTW a Regen 1 cart is either mid 1995 or 1996 (the only years they were manufactured).
Old 07-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I don't have much to offer, but... my 98 was a Regen 1.

The serial number tag under the passenger glove box will tell you the year,
eg: A9606-xxxxxx

A=DS
96=1996
06=week of manufacture

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
my 98 was a Regen 1
That's odd - I always thought the Black "T" controller and POT box disappeared at the end of '96 and was replaced with the Regen 2 (grey) one with a run/tow switch integrated. Who knew??

That's the second time I've been wrong - the first was back in 1967 I think it was.....
Old 07-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Wait... wait... wait! I'M WRONG!
(I when back to one of my old threads, David @ Revolution corrected me! it's a Regen 2!)

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-sparkies.html

Your streak is still intact!
I'll go back to the CC gas forum now!

Carry on!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car