lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What gauge wire to use when wiring a 48V to 12V reducer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barber613 View Post
10 gauge is a bit much. The 48 volt side, or line side , will be the lower current side of reducer. If the reducer is 10 amp output max, the 48 volt side will be less the 4 amps. Unless i am missing something, 10 is way to big.
He's my reasoning.... Generally everything sold is engineered. If they give me a 10g lead and instruct to connect to battery pack I use the same size wire as the lead they gave, just to be safe. It's not like it costs a lot more and unless you are intimately familiar with the product and it's specs it's risky to advise he does otherwise.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #12
seanmcg
Getting Wild

What size fuse do you guys use, and what is the reducer you keep buying?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
seanmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #13
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

that is the reducer i use, its no doubt a chinese thing, around 50-70 bucks. I don't have issues with it, but because it works, I tend to just stick with it. and this one happens to have a fuse, but when I don't have a fuse I add a 10amp fuse in line

steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0004975.jpeg (155.2 KB, 0 views)
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #14
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have used this one too, but its really just preference, whatever you like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RH-VOLT-2000.jpg (25.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #15
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: What gauge wire to use when wiring a 48V to 12V reducer?

Part of the answer to what unit to buy depends a lot on useage...do you run a lot of load on your reducer all the time? Or like most of us...just the occasional lights and maybe the power socket for charging your cell phone...and of course the radio or some type of stereo system all determines if you can get by with a Chinese made unit or something better.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #16
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
Part of the answer to what unit to buy depends a lot on useage...do you run a lot of load on your reducer all the time? Or like most of us...just the occasional lights and maybe the power socket for charging your cell phone...and of course the radio or some type of stereo system all determines if you can get by with a Chinese made unit or something better.
completely agree, where I work I am used to setting up security company's carts with head and tail lights, and the amber security light on top

steve
Old 08-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #17
seanmcg
Getting Wild

What else is used in conjunction with the reducer? Do you use a bus bar (I have no idea what that is), a fuse box, or what?

I've got standard lights, gonna have LEDs underneath, possible radio in the future. Any photos of what your wiring looks like would really help.

Sorry to hijack this post, btw.

seanmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #18
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcg View Post
What else is used in conjunction with the reducer? Do you use a bus bar (I have no idea what that is), a fuse box, or what?

I've got standard lights, gonna have LEDs underneath, possible radio in the future. Any photos of what your wiring looks like would really help.

Sorry to hijack this post, btw.

bus bar connects different things together, like on the old club car DS with 5 solenoids, the have a bus bar going across them. yes, some people set up a fuse box, especially when more is involved like you mentioned radio, other lights than head/tail lights. the wiring part is going to be varied lol so its not that easy to explain, you also have to decide which type of reducer you want as there are many out there

steve
Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #19
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I understand your confusion, as it is confusing when you first learn to set up a voltage reducer. But if your understanding of what input and output wires are, the key switch wire(if your reducer has it) you will start to see where things go to. Just be very careful because voltage reducers are not forgiving and if you mix up input/output wires it will destroy the unit probably
Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #20
Patela2oh
Gone Wild

Default What gauge wire to use when wiring a 48V to 12V reducer?

At a minimum your reducer will have 48/36 v input (battery pack +) , common negative (battery pack -) and 12v xx amp output (accessories). You can use the same ground /- wire for accessories and the pack.

A few better ones will also have key switch (connects to positive output of the key) and a constant output even if key is off (for radio memory / clock etc).

From there it's how busy / easy you want to get. If you have a lot of stuff you can have a small fuse box (distributes power) and buss bar (collects power after accessories and runs back to battery negative).

Look at my post "project unnecessary " under members rides and you will see a wiring diagram and pics etc

White power in , green / black power out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patela2oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car