lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
FISHALOT
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo txt acceptable voltage drop

Hey guys, I just purchased a 2010 ezgo txt 36v series cart. I am trying to get the bugs out. An i was wondering the acceptable voltage drop for the battery pack. with out a load it stands at 37-38 volts when cruising on flat ground it will drop to approx 34. On a slight incline around 33v. it does slow down go up an incline and after about 5-10min of driving it slows way down ive read that could be the solenoid or controller??????? Thanks for any help.

Fishalot
FISHALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo txt acceptable voltage drop

When it slows way down, what are the pack lows under load then?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Fishalot.....first off do you have a DVM on the cart that displays pack voltage, or are you just connecting a hand held? just wondering.....and try to post up voltages to the 1/100th of a volt.
lets assume the batteries the ones that came in the cart new, so they could be 3 years old.....and we don't know how familiar you are with keeping your cart charged, so wityh that said, you said is starts at 37-38v....what is the pack voltage with a FULL charge. it should be 38.2v but the readings you are seeing on flat ground at speed are fine. Fore as soon as you stop, the pack recovers.
Another thing, take the time to read the link below....yes its about brand new batteries but there is other valuable info in there.....also here is a State of Charge (SoC) chart to keep.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

oh and btw......CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
FISHALOT
Not Yet Wild

First off thanks for the quick response and the huge fridge full of cold beer. I do have a hand held multimeter clipped to the bat post so i am able watch the voltage change. i will do another drive and update with more detailed voltage numbers. I am charging them now i dont know when the other guy charged it last. I just got this ride yesterday. Thanks again

Fishalot
Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHALOT View Post
First off thanks for the quick response and the huge fridge full of cold beer. I do have a hand held multimeter clipped to the bat post so i am able watch the voltage change. i will do another drive and update with more detailed voltage numbers. I am charging them now i dont know when the other guy charged it last. I just got this ride yesterday. Thanks again

Fishalot
well let the pack charge until the charger shuts off.....then wait 12 hrs before the cart is used, and take a reading of total pack voltage. THAT is the starting point.

then ensure you plug in the cart at the end of each days use and recharge, regardless of how little you use it. and never allow the total pack voltage to go below 50%.....

and I would highly recommend you get a dash installed DVM....it will be like having a "GAS GAUGE". Here is the one most recommended.....
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html
Old 11-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
FISHALOT
Not Yet Wild

OK this is what i have so far. it was charged until the charger shut off. The voltage reading was 38.6v. Cruising at 33.2-34.7 depending on grade. after about three miles I noticed a significant drop in performance. The bat. pack would recover to 35.4v. And cruising at 30.1-32.5ish. But the cart would hardly move. If I let it sit for 60 sec or so it would move like normal. I lifted the seat and noticed one of the cables was hot and the solenoid was also hot. It has 22 inch tires and is lifted. Thanks again you all are great help. everything ive ever owned has been gas powered. I am new to this electric stuff. I do enjoy the quite ride and allot less fumes.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
remac
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Check all of your connections, if any loose, tighten them, but not too tight.
Do all of your batteries match? Same make, AmpHour rating, year, etc.
Check each battery's voltage, they should all be close, check fluid levels.
Also run through a few cycles of charge and discharge and see if things improve.
Do you have a stock motor and controller? (If you don't know, you probably do...)
Do you have stock tires or something larger, larger draws more juice.
remac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Fishalot.....as remac made mention, check all the cable connections, especially that hot one, just remember the battery terminals are cast into LEAD and should be tightened to about IN-LBS not ft-lbs. lets assume all of your electronics are stock....and if so, the fact that you are running 22" tires is putting a little extra stress/strain in the system. chack the water level in the batteries, they should be about 1/4" to 1/2" about the plates. and remember only put DISTSTIILED WATER in they batteries.....you can get it as nearly any supermarket.....even walmart.

I just want to ensure we are on the same page.....after the charger shut off.....then you waited the 12 hours, THEN took the pack voltage, correct? and it was 38.6v? and then after only 3 miles the pack is DEAD? and yes, once your pack gets down to 36v, its basically dead. remember the chart above.....never allow the pack after 1 hour recovery to get below 50%, which is 36.3v.....fore at that point irreversible damage will occur to the batteries. I am guessing, but I would bet money that the previous owner didn't not take proper care of the batteries and you are most likely due for a new set.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you have one bad battery. Confirmed by the fact it recovers somewhat when left to sit awhile. Recharge. Post the following
Pack voltage (sum of all batteries)
Individual battery readings ( # the batteries 1-6 & give reading for each)
Now connect the meter to # 1 and watch the meter as you accelerate hard. Preferably uphill. note the lowest reading.
Move the meter to #2 and so on until we have standing & load test data for all six batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
FISHALOT
Not Yet Wild

well Ive finally had time to charge and test the batteries. After a full charge i let them sit for 12 hours or so this is what I got.
Pack voltage- 37.1
Bat. 1. - 6.3 w/load - 5.8
2. - 6.3 -- 5.7
3. - 5.8 --4.6
4. - 6.2 -- 5.6
5. - 6.3 -- 5.7
6. - 6.2 -- 5.5
Im thinking #3 is the culprit. Will one battery spoil the bunch? How you do guys feel about the battery repair kits? Are they worth a shot? Thanks for your advise. Batteries these days are expensive.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO