lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Itsalljake
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Hit the horn and main fuse blows

Still tryin to get the electric MPT up to snuff. Lights are on. Charge indicator working. Thought, wonder if the horn works? Pop! Everything still 'works' lights, charge indicator. Still not running as I'm waiting to get the controller back from FSIP but want to make sure I don't fry it with whatever this issue is. Help please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Itsalljake is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
dewzer
Getting Wild

Default Re: Hit the horn and main fuse blows

Did you try disconnecting the wire from the horn to see if it blows the fuse? The horn itself might be the culpret. If it still blows, unhook the feed wire to the horn from the push button. If it quits blowing the fuse, you have a short in the wire between the button and the horn. If not, it is in the switch.
Also, just fyi, when testing a circuit that is blowing a fuse, get a reset breaker style fuse. this way your not buying a bunch of fuses while testing.
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Itsalljake
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Hit the horn and main fuse blows

Wow, thanks smarty pants. All great ideas. New to this club car thing but new to carts as well. This thing has an aluminum frame and the battery trays are pretty corroded. Tig weld some new aluminum back in there or just some? Maybe steel instead?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Itsalljake
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry. Cross threading. The horn is on my MPT. But just picked up a club car too. I know going overboard, kinda building a small fleet for my maintenance crew. Which means buying inexpensive carts and try to learn how to fix them. I've learned quick that a cart is only as cheap as the batteries.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

And since batteries are such a HUGE investment, learn how to maintain them.

Here is a great link for explaining them. They ain't like car batteries, where you just install and forget about it (them) 'til it fails, then replace. Buggy batts are a different beast, which you can learn the hard way if you ain't careful ($$$)

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Look to the left of the Home page and read everything with the word "batteries" in it. Also a great place to buy stuff you need to maintain your "investment" such as digital volt meter - highly recommended, and a better charger than probably came with your buggies.

Trojan's website also has a lot of good info.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Itsalljake
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yup. Read that stuff. Definitely getting the digi volt gauge for the Mpt. And likely a watering system as cost permits.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Itsalljake
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Can I pick up one of those reset breakers at an auto place like autozone?

Old 11-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Based on posts - not experience - I'd avoid a watering system, and just buy a water filling jug, like I used on cars in the 70's.

http://www.2xpower.com/Battery-Filling-Jug_p_56.html

Link just for photo. Use a BGW sponsor for purchase.

I like to physically see and touch my batts every month, to check and clean the terminals, and top off with water. I only trust automation to a point.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
dewzer
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsalljake View Post
Can I pick up one of those reset breakers at an auto place like autozone?

Any auto establishment will be able to hook you up.
One thing to add to the already exalant advice given is to keep the tops of the batteries clean. Once dirt/dust builds up on the tops and the batteries are charged a few times, the evaporation expels some electrolyte and that collects within that dirt/dust too. Now you have created a short between the Pos and Neg posts of the battery.
You can actually take a volt meter, hook up the neg leed to the battery and touch the positive probe to the plastic top of the battery in that dirt and get a low voltage reading.
That (short) will take the life out of a battery("s) life span.
Just one more thing to keep an eye out for to help keep them healthy.
I maintain a fleet of carts and I have a calender on my desktop I check daily for all my preventative maintenance on my equipment and carts. I fill in a whole years worth of battery maintenance schedules so I can plan for those days to have certain carts down.
Clean the tops first then top off the cells. Keeps the dirt out.
dewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
rib33024

Can you tell us how you have the horn wired?, NEG - goes to what, and the pos+ goes to what, and how is the button wired, the button only goes to one wire not the POS and NEG
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO