lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Desert Bill
Not Yet Wild

Default Tell me what happened during battery charge

42 V, 7 batts. Last weekend during overnight charge, came out in the AM green light indicating full charge, pulling no amps.

Got to desert yesterday, plug the charger in, and after about 5 hours decide to take a little spin. Not fully charged, but pulling about 8 amps. When I first charge shows about 18 amps, steady yellow charging light, then blinking yellow when 10 amps or below. Get back and about 2 hrs later take a 45 min ride.

Plug charger in for the night and this AM after 12 hours, still showing 8 amps and yellow charge light blinking. Surprised me...expected green. Looked at batts and was surprised to see a large amount of moisture on top, not dripping, but still visible wetness. Checked cells, 4 of them required distilled water...4 separate batts. Had checked all cells last weekend...all good with a minimum of a quarter inch above, after charge.

I am charging now, initially showing 18 amps,solid yellow, but after 15 mins down to 10 amps, with blinking yellow, and after 40 mins showing 8 amps.

Batts are Centennial, about 2 1/2 years old. No visible corrosion and all coated well with batt terminal protectant.

Any ideas/comments about what happened is appreciated. Will update charging status.
Desert Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tell me what happened during battery charge

First step should probably be to check the individual batteries. Certainly check the voltage but it sounds like a load test may be in order too.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well to be honest, although you gave us some good info, there is a piece missing that would have been nice....

I would like to know if you have an "On Board" DVM.....kind of like a Gas Gauge for electric carts....

You state "Got to desert yesterday, plug the charger in, and after about 5 hours decide to take a little spin. Not fully charged, but pulling about 8 amps." What was the Voltage when you got to the desert and what was it when you unplugged the cart for your spin? and how far did you go on your little spin?

then you state "Get back and about 2 hrs later take a 45 min ride." was that 45 minutes of continual riding? no stopping?

What was the SoC of the pack before you plugged in the cart the second time?

I know that when I have run the pack down a long ways, it takes a longer time to fully charge, I have had it take as much as 16 to 22 hrs (that was the max I have ever seen).
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Desert Bill
Not Yet Wild

The dash 'meter' showed 95% or better. Yes, the 45 min ride was pretty much continuos, but still looked better than 85% charge upon returning. Mostly slow speeds.

What about the excessive moisture after all night charging...is this normal/expected? What about having to add water after one week? I do understand excessive gassing could cause this problem, but I have not had this long charging time/moisture on previous, similar, rides.

Thanks for the input and do understand solving issues on the internet may not be the best way. just trying to gain some insight.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Bill, I haven't experienced EXCESSIVE moisture....a spot or two on a battery or two, but not very much at all. if you have experienced a lot of gassing, which will cause the loss of water, although I normally only add any water about once a month/as needed, but I check them weekly. for me, with long run times, charging times of 12 to 16 hrs is normal for me.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Desert Bill
Not Yet Wild

Sir Nuke, on this post and previous ones of mine, you have been "right on". After watering/ charging overnight (2nd time), batt charger indicated full charge. Perhaps excessive gassing/moisture indicated a 'weaker' state of charge than I had thought. Thanks, to you and others, for your patience with a 'newby'.

At this time all is well...until the next question.

Regards.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

I would still get each battery tested. you may have a weaker battery that WILL bring down the complete battery pack voltage very quickly.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
Desert Bill
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, Courtesy Cart. Working on my knowledge and will do.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO