lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Default Controller upgrade, now won't charge

Like it says got everything hooked back up from installing alltrax and I have 2 issues that may or may not be related. I now have the volt meter on all the time, but when I hooked up the charger last night it almost seems the charger is sucking juice. Went from a single bar down to halfway down. Where do I start this search? All connections tight, no heat that I can find, can not come up with what is different from prior to upgrade, no spare wires that I can tell.

I have looked at the wiring diagrams for the entire set up and ScottyBs for the controller and honestly can not find a variance. What do I need to check that is still drawing current?

All runs good now though

Thanks
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Default Re: Controller upgrade, now won't charge

I think I have tracked it down. I currently have a white wire and a red wire to the + of the battery pack running from the charger port. Depending on the schematic I find, it does not seem like I need both. On the factory PDS it looks like the red goes to the controller via the harness which I have. I also see on the Alltrax website schematic that the red goes to the batter pack with no mention or picture of the larger white wire.

I had a corroded end on the white wire, so I swapped it, but did I put the wrong end back on and have a brain fart and hook it to the battery instead of to another connection somewhere?

Pics to come
Old 11-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Ok here is a crappy picture but the white 8 gauge wire is from charger port. The small white wire out of the charger port is actually attached to a red wire right out of the charger that is seen here with the connector end exposed not hooked to anything. The red with white stripe wire is out of the loom running to the front along the passenger side of the frame. Small 18 guage wire. I thought it was the lights but if you remove it the controller will not turn on. So I assume that one is good. It runs to one of the pins in the connector to the alltrax. Larger 10-12 gauge red wire runs across the back of the seat frame in the mesh wire loom. Nothing this big comes out of this loom, could it have been stepped down somewhere like the fuse block under driver side? I know i had to have done something very simple and stupid but for the life of me can't find it. Should the small wire out of the charger/reeds with be connected somewhere? Does not appear to be used with the all grad set up, or were 2 wires together and I separated and not realized it? Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (182.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by sleepyluke; 11-17-2013 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Better wording
Old 11-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The wires for charging the battery connect directly to the charge plug socket, thru a fuse, with 14ga wire. There's nothing on the controller side of things that would prevent a charge.

There IS often a reed switch - activated by a magnet in the plug - connected via a 18ga wire, which disables the controller, but that would not prevent the battery from charging.

If the battery is not charging, either the wires aren't hooked up correctly, or the fuse between the battery and socket is blown (or your charger is dead..)
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

I think I am vERY lucky and very stupid. In my rebuild I decided that the connectors were pretty rough so I redid them and think that I swapped the connectors to red wire. Unhooking everything and building from the diagrams instead of staring at it and saying yep that looks right.

Am I correct per schematic that the red wire/white small wire out of the charger port should have a quick connect and go to the small red with white stripe wire that then runs to the controller? Meaning the small red wire to the battery is my mistake and potential big problem? It is all unhooked from the batteries at the moment, but may get back to it tomorrow. If correct the red and white stripe wire should not connect to the battery.

Thanks for trying to unscrew a moving target
Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The wiring as shown in picture should work, but I have a few issues with it.

The heavy white wire is the positive wire from the charge receptacle and is connected almost correctly. The 400A fuse terminal should be the first connector on the battery stud since it is part of the circuit that draws the most amps.
Note: This wire is shown on the Alltrax schematic, but is labeled "Red" and connects to the other side of the 400A fuse.

The heavy red wire in the picture was originally connected to the battery side large terminal of the solenoid, but that is the same point electrically as the main positive terminal of the battery pack, as it is now connected to. Again the stacking order on the battery stud is wrong.

The smaller red wire spliced into the Red/White that goes to the controller is bypassing the Reed switch. The Red/White wire with the empty in-line connector and goes across the front of the battery compartment, is from the Reed switch and was where the Red/White wire to the controller was originally connected. Nothing is wrong with bypassing the Reed switch this way,

Like I said, the arrangement should work okay, but personally, I'd put the two red wires on the solenoid's battery side large terminal, stacked above the 2Ga cable from the battery. On the battery pack's main positive terminal stud, the Fuse goes on first, then the White wire from the charge receptacle.

-------
As for the meter issue, I'd use the LED bargraph meter for target practice and replace it with on of these: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Thanks guys.

Johnnie, I am going to go back with the reed switch connection, but are you saying to run the larger red wire and white on the end of the fuse that currently has the 2 gauge wire, or literally re stack them? That is what I will go with. want to do it as close to right as possible. Last paragraph, best scenario?

Also, I am having trouble keeping all of the wires off of the solenoid, but that is the least of my worries!

And I am REALLY hoping Santa will bring me a real meter!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyluke View Post
Thanks guys.

Johnnie, I am going to go back with the reed switch connection, but are you saying to run the larger red wire and white on the end of the fuse that currently has the 2 gauge wire, or literally re stack them? Or white stays, red to the solenoid? Is one really a lot better than the other? That is what I will go with. want to do it as close to right as possible.

Also, I am having trouble keeping all of the wires off of the solenoid, but that is the least of my worries!

And I am REALLY hoping Santa will bring me a real meter!
The reed switches had a nasty habit of failing when you were out n the middle of nowhere, so carry a jumper wire with you if you reconnect it.
FWIW: The reed switch in my 2008 was bypassed at the factory. (A pigtail fuse was installed instead of a reed switch.)

Ironically, I had the in-line connector between the small white wire out of the charge receptacle and the red/white wire that goes across the cart, fail while I was out and about. I just happened to have a DVM with me and remembered enough about the PDS schematic to find the problem. I cut the in-line connectors off and twisted the wires together to get home. They are now soldered together.

The heavy white wire has to be connected to the Main Positive terminal. Either before or after the Fuse. Since it is a 400A fuse, it doesn't make much difference electrically which side the 20A charging circuit is connected to.
FWIW: The 250A fuse I had installed, did not blow when my stock PDS motor failed and took out the DCX400 controller. Attached is a photo of how it was installed.

The heavy red wire can be connected directly to the battery pack or to the battery side of the solenoid. Whichever is best for you.

Stacking order of connectors should always have the connector that carries the greatest number of amps in the most intimate contact with the battery post or terminal. Typically, this means the the heaviest ring terminals go on the stud first with the lightest one going on last. If space permits, use a flat washer between the top ring terminal and the nut.

Santa might be bringing me input shaft bearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX Installed-1.jpg (891.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

So do I do anything different with no reed switch? Will charger shut off/on? I know some run it that way but I guess I don't know the rest of what I have to do.

Is it only to not let it run while on the charger?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyluke View Post
So do I do anything different with no reed switch? Will charger shut off/on? I know some run it that way but I guess I don't know the rest of what I have to do.

Is it only to not let it run while on the charger?
That is correct. It was to prevent you from driving away with the charger connected. The small voltage sensing wire in the charger plug was to prevent arcing in the event you pulled out the plug while the charger was still on. You will have to do nothing different when you jump the reed switch.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO