lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Pchapman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Ezgo Pds speed chip on the fly

Can I make a remote switch to change from freedom to mid hill on the dash?
Thought I would use a 3 position three pole toggle switch. I would use two poles to have tow in the middle or off position and on in the up or down spot. I would use the other circuit to interrupt terminals 3 and 4 to switch the speeds.
Thinking I could then switch on the fly as you go through the tow positions
Anyone know if this will work or is wise
Thanks
Pchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo Pds speed chip on the fly

I've seen these for sale on ebay....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
TXHop
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought one off of Ebay, It's a decent piece and nothing was required, other than plugging it in. At times the controller will act funky when I switch it on the fly. It's best to come to a complete stop and switch everything off first for best results.
I was going to buy a speed jumper and wire in an inline switch. For what all the parts would cost me I bought one pre made with all the proper connectors. And as an added bonus I wouldn't have to get off the cart and flip the tow/run switch. Just wish it was more of a water proof switch.
--Hop
TXHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It will work if you put the switch between the correct pins, but not on the fly.
You either have to stop or the controller will stop you.

If anything changes, (IE: F/R shifted to N or to the opposite direction, Keyswitch turned off or Reed switch hiccups) while moving above 2.5 MPH (on stock height tires), the controller will apply Maximum regen braking until cart is moving less than 2.5MPH and the beeper will not stop sounding until the motor stops turning.

To experience what happens, move the F/R rocker switch to Neutral while going forward at a modest speed.

The Run/Tow switch being in the Tow position will prevent regenerative braking, but if the cart is moving when it it switched back to Run, the crash stop will occur.

---------
The only differences between Freedom and Mild Hill is the max speed and Mild Hill has regen braking while Freedom does not. There is no difference in torque.

When I was running a stock PDS controller, I had a spst switch in the jumper wire between J2 Pins 2 & 3 to give me Freedom and Mild Hill modes. (Pin-4 is blank)

I was kicking around the idea of relocating the Run/Tow switch so I didn't have to lift the seat to switch modes, but went to an aftermarket controller to get higher speed with regen braking.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHop View Post
I bought one off of Ebay, It's a decent piece and nothing was required, other than plugging it in. At times the controller will act funky when I switch it on the fly. It's best to come to a complete stop and switch everything off first for best results.
I was going to buy a speed jumper and wire in an inline switch. For what all the parts would cost me I bought one pre made with all the proper connectors. And as an added bonus I wouldn't have to get off the cart and flip the tow/run switch. Just wish it was more of a water proof switch.
--Hop
Do you have the PDS/VPS controller?

My 2008 rolled off the assembly line right before EZGO started installing the PDS/VPS controllers, so my cart does the nosedive routine.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
TXHop
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Do you have the PDS/VPS controller?

My 2008 rolled off the assembly line right before EZGO started installing the PDS/VPS controllers, so my cart does the nosedive routine.
The switch off of Ebay has a momentary off for the tow haul in the middle of the switch. You can set it in the middle position and it's the same as turning off the tow switch under the seat.
Connector B & C are for the existing Tow switch.
My Controller is a 73326G06
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.JPG (45.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131021_182139.jpg (211.9 KB, 0 views)
TXHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I was using a 73326G07 controller back then and it was like tossing out a boat anchor when I flipped it back into Run while moving.

I was using separate switches and some temporary extensions of the wires, so there was a delay between manipulating the two switches, so it might have been timing or something like that.

However, I found that I liked the regen braking of the Mild Hill mode driving over the hilly terrain around here, but wanted more speed than 15MPH, so I dropped in a DCX400 and got 24MPH on stock height tire @36V with regen braking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Controller with 2Ga cables.JPG (644.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCX Installed-1.jpg (891.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I was using a 73326G07 controller back then and it was like tossing out a boat anchor when I flipped it back into Run while moving.
Maybe it's just me, but I like my series to just GO when I tell it to. No regen, but I can freewheel downhill to coast up the next hill. Gravity is recoverable.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I like my series to just GO when I tell it to. No regen, but I can freewheel downhill to coast up the next hill. Gravity is recoverable.

series carts = simple, reliable
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It's good to see two Georgia guys agreeing on something.

However, the simplicity and reliability of series carts is debatable.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO