lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power usage is now to fast

If all eight of your batteries are under the seat, three or four 25W bulbs in a flat box about the size of the seat that will slide under the cart, will keep the batteries from getting as cold.

A water bed heating pad placed under the cart works well also.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-z-go1988 View Post
If all eight of your batteries are under the seat, three or four 25W bulbs in a flat box about the size of the seat that will slide under the cart, will keep the batteries from getting as cold.

A water bed heating pad placed under the cart works well also.
Thanks ez-'98. Actually I have six of 'em under the seat, and two "orphans" in the old bagwell. Funny….I was just searching this am for a way to keep 'em warm 'n cozy in these cold winter months. Now that I got rid of the old F\R mechanical switch, (my new F\R switch is in it's place….but I plan on moving it back just above the motor) I will have some additional room where the old F\R mechanical switch was. I don't like the idea of any type of propane heater or open type of electrical heater, but your idea of a water bed heater seems interesting.

Perhaps a separate 12-V battery (separate from the one that now runs my winch and headlights) could be used to keep a Gerblings type of cart seat warmer that could be wrapped around the batteries, warm.

You know…..anything to help me get out there and stay out there. Usually, when the temps drop below 20 I don't stay out all that long, nor do I go far from my "home" truck. But if the temp's are 30 or above and the wind isn't blowing, I will stay out for some time and zoom around looking for hot game spots. So, the more travel juice I can keep, the less I need to be concerned about where I can go.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #23
TreeBass
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
For max battery life and performance, keep the batteries as fully charged as possible and practical.
That means recharging after each use.

Giving the pack a half an hour or more booster charge before heading out on a cold morning would help the range some. (Charging warms the electrolyte and plates.)

Anything you can do to keep the batteries warmer during the night will help.

When I lived in a colder climate (Michigan), I wrapped a thermostatically controlled Pipe Warmer cable around my car battery and I had plenty of cranking amps even on the coldest mornings.

Cart batteries have a significant thermal mass, so the temperature of the electrolyte and plates lags the temperature of the air surrounding the batteries by several hours, so the trick is to not let them get cold.

They will start acclimating with the ambient temperature the moment the heat source is removed, but during the day the temperature doesn't typically get as cold as it does during the night, so you are ahead of the temperature lag rather than behind it.
So what if you have a DPI charger, won't that help keeping them warm at night?
TreeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBass View Post
So what if you have a DPI charger, won't that help keeping them warm at night?
Yes, but it won't be a significant amount of warming. Sorta like trying to warm up a walk-in freezer with a votive candle.

After the regular charger cycle a DPI Accusense charger uses a constant voltage float charge, so the float charge current equals the battery's self-discharge rate plus any parasitic current drains.

If you had 6V-225AH batteries with a self-discharge rate of 1% per day, they would lose 2.25AH per day or 0.09375AH per hour. Charging is only about 85% efficient, so the float charge current would be about 15% higher than the self-discharge rate and only that 15% will be converted to heat.

Therefore, there is about 0.09 Watts of heat being generated internally while the entire outer surface of the 60+ pound battery is radiating heat energy into the cold air surrounding it.

--------
On the other hand, using float charge, you start out your trip with a fully charged battery rather than one that has been self-discharging for hours.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #25
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I've been searching and all i can see is battery "pads". But these plug into 120-V and would be fine for overnight, but not much help during the day in the field. OTOH, if the batteries are kept warm all night, it will take some time….say 4 to 5 hours?…to cool them to a 24 degree outside temp.

I don't think a propane type heater is a good idea….too many things to go bad there.

I'll keep looking and thinking.

Dave
Old 12-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #26
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I agree that an open flame type propane heater might get your EZGO to mimic the Hindenburg, but radiant type propane heaters are used to warm enclosed golf carts. If you had an enclosure that included the batteries in the bag well, it might be something to consider.

As for how long it take for batteries that have been kept warm at night to cool to the air temperature when used during the day, I don't know, but it sounds like a good question to ask the battery manufacturer.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #27
TreeBass
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks JohnnieB, guess its time to build a light box :)
TreeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

As for how long it take for batteries that have been kept warm at night to cool to the air temperature when used during the day, I don't know, but it sounds like a good question to ask the battery manufacturer.
Light box is a good idea for the night. I have a "Golf-Cat" propane heater that I could do a hook-up with a small 12-V fan and a dryer type of vent to draw the heat into the battery box….but even that could make me nervous. But the first part can be made of a metal vent.

But JohnnieB's suggestion of calling Trojan is a good one. I'm sure I wouldn't be the first guy to call 'em. But then, they may not want to give me a suggestion because of liability (**** Lawyers) either.

I'll call 'em and let you know if any ideas come from it.

Dave
Old 12-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well….I sent an email question to Trojan. A kind of generic…"hey..how can I keep the battery box warm when running in 20 degree weather?"

They responded as follows:

Below is Trojan Battery's response:

You could probably contact the manufacturer of your vehicle about this issue. I don't know of any thing that could be done to keep the batteries warm as it would need to integrate with the overall vehicle system. Sorry that I could not be more helpful. Have a good day.

Yeah…..kind of what I expected.

Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO