lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile springs on top of axle?

I have a 2010 EZGO PDS with a 4 in. drop axle lift. I was wondering if it were
possible to take the front springs from under the axle and mount them on top
of the axle along with maybe a 1.5-2 in. metal block for added height. I haven't
looked at the back yet to see how I could do it. If anybody thinks this will work
or either it's a bad idea please chime in. I just want a little more height. Thanks.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: springs on top of axle?

You can flip the front spring to the top of the axle in 94-01 carts since the steering box was mounted to the frame in those years. At mid 2001 they moved the steering box, now called a rack and pinion, to te top of the front axle. It would be very, very difficult to move the springs to the top in the later year txt's.

If you had the earlier cart and did the flip on your 4" drop axle AND added a 2" spacer you would have about 8" lift. What are your goals with that much lift?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

I apologize, kojo, for hijacking, but I'm curious whether your motive is cost or something else?

The reason I ask is because I have a friend who has had several carts, and he goes "back into the shed" to find metal, hacks a few pieces, installs to create the lift, then sells the carts. I wouldn't want something that saved money but created other problems.

The cost for my Jake's a-arm kit was $300, everything fit, it looks great, and it drives perfectly. No issues.

If asked by someone I knew what I would say regarding a 2010 cart, I'd say purchase a kit that gives you the desired height beyond the 4" you already have. That's my $.02.
Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #4
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: springs on top of axle?

Thanks Sportcoupe and Rep for your advice. To answer your question Sportcoupe, basically I just want some more lift, not really for bigger tires. I
have 23x10.5x12 on now, the biggest I would go would be a 24x8x12, a little
narrower but a tad taller. Thought of something else, could I go to 24 in. tall
tires without any problems. Everything is stock but, want to go with a 400
Alltrax. To answer your question Rep, I was just wanting to see if I could do it
myself without buying a new lift, but after seeing your opinions I think I'll go
the best route and buy one instead. Thanks again guys for your input and
advice.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

About the only way to get additional lift on a 2001.5+ cart without replacing lift kit is fabricating spacers for between the front spring and frame. I wouldn't go more then a 2" spacer. There are a couple of drawbacks though.

1) You will loose the rod for auto brake release when you push on the gas pedal.

2) The steering shaft will be too short requiring cutting, adding a tube sleeve and re-welding back together. For example, a 6" tube sleeve works well with a 2" spring spacer.

Adding lift to the rear is comparatively easy. The best way is replace the 4" lift block with a 6" lift block. You could also make extended shackles as well with a center support bolt and spacer to reduce swaying due to extra length.

I have done these mods to several carts with very good results to clear larger atv tires on golf carts.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: springs on top of axle?

Thanks for the info Sportcoupe, on the brake rod release, if I go 2 in. I'll lose it
but how about any less than 2, would results be the same. By you saying this
you mean the brakes wouldn't lock when pressed down right? Thanks again for
the info on that, I'm going to take it from someone who's been there and done that, and go your way. Thanks man.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Talking Re: springs on top of axle?

Wasn't thinking there Sportcoupe, had my head screwed on backwards there for a minute. It would just effect the brake on gas pedal depression. The brake safety lock while depressing them would still lock brakes. How far does the steering shaft go into the shaft sleeve, just out of curiousity. Thanks man.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: springs on top of axle?

Where exactly do you cut steering tube shaft, down close to the knuckle where it will not interfere with steering shaft itself, and just add a piece of tubing of some sort. Whats the spring spacer for. Does it have one now. Sorry for so many questions. Thanks a lot for your info.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You answered your question on the auto brake release. With a 2" spacer between the spring and frame, there is no room left for the rod that does auto brake release. You MIGHT get by with a 1" spacer and keep the rod. It would be tight.

The steering shaft slip joint isn't very long from the factory. Attached is a picture of the gap created by just a 2" spacer added between frame and spring. If you look close you can see my two 1"x2" rectangular spacers on the spring. Notice they don't even come close anymore? I wouldn't even add a 1" spacer to a new style steering ezgo without addressing the steering shaft. I also added pictures of the finished extended shaft. The finished shaft wasn't long enough still and I had to re-do it. I never got a final picture but the welded sleeve was about 3.75" long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image01.jpg (133.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image04-800.jpg (140.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: springs on top of axle?

Thanks Sportcoupe for the info and especially the pictures. Now I know exactly what to do with the shaft. I've got a flux-core but I'm gonna get my buddy to do it with his stick welder (for strength). I'm good with directions but I'm better with pictures. Thanks again Sportcoupe for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO