lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
Sdsuslacker
Not Yet Wild

Default Mythbusters - Battery and Epsom Salt Episode

Sorry to crush your hopes, no Mythbusters did not try this, but I envy their jobs. If I only I could be paid to destroy things. I seem to destroy things, but I have to pay to fix them. Just not the same.

So I have searched and searched and searched some more about battery reconditioning using Epsom salts because I had 6 batteries that went dry on me. I figured, what harm can be done. I had the time and I love to experiment so here are my "professional" results.

My process:
1. Checked voltage for all batteries
2. Check Specific gravity for all batteries.
3. If battery was over 5 volts, I removed the electrolyte to the top of the plates and added in water/Epsom salt mixture to just above top of plates.
4. If battery was under 5 volts, I drained about half of the electrolyte and added in mixture.
5. Put all batteries on trickle charger for 3 days.
6. Check voltage and specific gravity.
7. If SG was really low (water reading or less than 1.1) added some battery acid to the cell.
8. Charged with trickle charger for 3 more days.
9. Put batteries in cart and charged with golf cart charger for 3 charge cycles.

Basically I was rewiring my entire cart (1984 stock Marathon), so I kept the batteries on a trickle charge during that time. Before I started, the cart would barely move an inch after charging. After my rewiring and battery experiment, I was able to take the cart for a 30 second ride before it showed signs of struggling. So whatever I did, I was at least able to go for a ride.

Conclusion:
I'm happy my cart works, but I still need to buy a set of batteries.

Here is the data from my battery experiment. I did not include SG data because that did not change.

Battery 1
Before: 6.65v
After: 6.65v
Load: 6.1v
After 3 charge cycles: 6.18

Battery 2
Before: 4.35v
After: 6.13v
Load: 5.6v
After 3 charge cycles: 5.91

Battery 3
Before: 5.17v
After: 6.16v
Load: 5.4v
After 3 charge cycles: 4.89

Battery 4
Before: 6.70v
After: 6.62v
Load: 6.1v
After 3 charge cycles: 6.18

Battery 5
Before: 6.05v
After: 4.97v
Load: 2.8v
After 3 charge cycles: 2.72

Battery 6
Before: 2.88v
After: 6.28v
Load: 5.4v
After 3 charge cycles: 5.93
Sdsuslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO