lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
jk1022
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Jerry K

A friend of mine got a 86 ezgo 2 mos.ago. Said it worked great than it got real hot and he shut it down. Now it takes off just by shifting to f/r with key off or on. I know got real hot because the wire going to the coil behind batteries melted a spot on a battery. I told him if anyone can help you guys are the BEST. Thanks in advance.
jk1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Jerry K

It sounds like the solenoid is welded shut and it sounds like the speed wiper board is no longer coming down to the zero speed position.
2 separate repairs needed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
jk1022
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

He said he took the solenoid out and had it checked. They said it was o.k..I'm going over there later, is there another switch to check besides the wiper board not going back down??
Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
jk1022
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Is there suppose to be a diode on any wire going to the solenoid.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check carefully to see if any debris is caught under the accelerator pedal. This would (as " scottyb") said, keep the solenoid on and one of the resistors passing current. Look under the cart too. All it takes is a twig in the linkage to do this!
There is no diode on these carts. Only controller carts use one.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If the solenoid is not welded on then it must be turned on all the time. This could be caused by a faulty microswitch. However there are two micro switches and a key switch which need to be triggered for the solenoid to operate. So I suspect the wiring has been compromised, which is often the case in these older carts. So bring your tester and your patience and a diagram.
Sort out the solenoid activation circuit and see why it's hot all the time.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
jk1022
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

We replaced solenoid. Now the cart does not go on its own just by putting it in gear. It smokes and sparks on the controller board but motor will go in F/R. Do not hear solenoid click.We are afraid to drive it do to heat off the controller. Also it will move with key on or off. The cables to coil toward the rear do not look good but are not touching anything that would cause it ground out. It seems to have a direct short. I have a cart just like his so we checked the wireing and it is the same. Any help will be appreciated as we are at our wits end. Thank you.

Tags
no pedal and key off., takes off by shifting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO