lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Gears

I know the RXV has the 10:1 gears but, can you put 10:1 gears in a 2010 TXT PDS. Thanks for any input.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gears

You can get 8:1 gears and 6:1 gears for ezgo txt, I don't know about 10:1, I've never seen them advertised.

Apache Gear in Phoenix, AZ makes all gears for ezgo so call them and ask.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Sportcoupe for the input. Would 8:1 gears hurt the run time drastically because that's what worries me about getting gears? Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

RXV has 16.99:1 gears stock. A common speed upgrade for RXV is 10.5:1 gears. Most TXTs and other stock golf carts have a gear ratio around 12.5:1. I feel for an RXV, gears numerically lower than 10.5:1 is too high, and too much load on the controller for any terrain other than totally flat. Also, since the motor and controller provide all braking, brake performance is affected as well. With high-speed gears, i have been able to put the controller into overtemp cutback with just a few full speed stops on an RXV. A freedom mode (19mph) RXV is capable of 30+mph with 10.5:1 gears, 8:1 gears on an RXV is too fast to be generally considered safe, and too much load on the controller IMO. The 10.5:1 gears available for RXV are Not a direct bolt in on the txt axle, because the intermediate gear on an RXV larger bearings than a txt. There are bearings that will fit in this application, but they are a compromise that may not last long in the long haul (small diameter outer race, large diameter inner race = small balls).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks cgtech for the info on this. I figured something was definitely different because I've never heard of anyone doing it. But it doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks again man for the info.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
Thanks Sportcoupe for the input. Would 8:1 gears hurt the run time drastically because that's what worries me about getting gears? Thanks again.
Speed and Torque depend on the final drive ratio, which is a combination of both the tire diameter and the differential gear ratio.

A stock TXT has 18" tall tires and 12.44:1 gears.
Mathematically, 8:1 gears will give you a 36% increase in speed and a 36% decrease in torque on stock height tires.
Mathematically, 28" tall tires will give you a 36% increase in speed and a 36% decrease in torque with stock gears.

Run-Time and Range are often used interchangeably, but they are different.
How many minutes it takes to discharge the battery pack to a predetermined SoC is Run-Time, while Range is how far the cart travels in those minutes, so it is a combination of both speed and time.

It takes more amps to turn taller tires or higher speed gears, so Run-Time is less, however it takes about the same energy to move a cart from Point-A to Point-B, so with higher speed, Range should be about the same even though time is less. Unfortunately, the motor will be less efficient at lower RPM and with a higher speed final drive ratio, the motor will turn fewer times per mile, so Range as well as Run-Time will be less.

Fortunately, the loses in Run-Time and Range can be offset by a higher voltage battery pack and/or higher AH batteries.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
Goat-v
Not Yet Wild

Where is the best place to buy the 10.5:1 gears. And is there instal instructions somewhere I can check out before I buy them to make sure capable of doing the job. Are they just bolt on without any other mods needing done. I have a rxv.
Goat-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #8
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB. for the help, you answered my question and made my mind up for me at the same time. I think I'll just stick with the stock gears. Thanks buddy.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO