lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Portable Generator for a lunchtime recharge

I rely more and more on my cart for hunting, and drive some pretty steep hills (actually mountains) where I go, plus in some pretty cold temp's (like in the low teens on some days) so i'm thinking of my own version of the EZ-GO electric\gas charger. Well...not really, but just a small portable generator that I can run as there are times when I will plant myself in a hunting spot for 3 or 4 hours, or even when I venture back to my truck for a 1 or 2 hour lunch\warm up I can charge up the batteries.

So, this summer I plan on upgrading to on onboard charger (I'll need some advice on that) but for now, will a portable generator like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7786_200487786 provide enough output to run a charger?

Thanks.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Portable Generator for a lunchtime recharge

Can't beat a Honda for quiet and reliable.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well I don't have any experience with that generator, HOWEVER, it has a single 120V, 20A receptacle. but the real question is how many amps will it produce.....and how many does a standard charger use. and of you think about it.....and your house where you have your charger plugged into, is most likely a 20A circuit....and there are other things running on it other than your charger. so if they only thing the generator is supplying power to is your charger, I would think it would work without any problem.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

The 20 amp outlet is over rated for the 500 watt output. This generator will top out around 5 amps or less, and would not keep up with a traditional transformer charger. Compare the wattage requirement of the charger you will be using to the generator to determine if this unit will perform for you.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Was lookinjg a bit closer at the listing.....there is a question at the bottom and it states that its rated at only 3.75 continuous amps and Surge amps are 4.16, so with that in mind.....probably not gonna do it. after all, in the ad, they only show the people using it to power a laptop charger. So you would be better off with the Surge 1000/900 Rated watt. Of course its a little more than twice the price ($800).
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I would say not. Let us assume that you have a 36 volt cart and you expect to supply 18 amps when you first charge up (and we ignore any losses in the charger). Multiply 36 by 18 gives us a demand of 648 watts. Now watts are watts no matter how you cut it and the generator you are interested in says 450 watts with a 500 peak.

Many people have a low opinion of Harbor Freight but here is a cheapy that will provide the power.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...tor-66619.html

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would go with this over a generator http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRUM-80w-...#ht_2359wt_670

One of the advatages in using the cart for hunting is how quiet it is and the lack of any exhaust or fuel smell.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab46501 View Post
I would go with this over a generator http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRUM-80w-...#ht_2359wt_670
According to their terms of sale, if you buy it, you're stuck with it unless its defective.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Go with a solar powered generator.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
According to their terms of sale, if you buy it, you're stuck with it unless its defective.
Always read the fine print!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Go with a solar powered generator.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO