lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Stock EZGO digital vertical state of charge meter not working properly

Stock EZGO digital vertical state of charge meter is alternating between bottom two bars. Just starting doing this. I just charged batteries and know I have a full charge due to digital voltmeter also installed. I like to have the original as a back up.

Any ideas?..............
chasenfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Stock EZGO digital vertical state of charge meter not working properly

You can try disconnecting it, wait 30 seconds, and reconnect. Sometimes they get confused.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stock EZGO digital vertical state of charge meter not working properly

The OEM Curtis bargraph meter doesn't work right when it's working properly.

Having these 2 meters on the same cart is like having Windows 95 and Windows 7 on the same computer

If you try reset, remember the meter will take the current pack voltage reading as 100%. So do so only with a full charge.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
chasenfish16
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I reset it and it worked for a few minutes then went back to doing the same thing. I even checked all the connections. So I guess it is bad?

So when people strictly work off a digital voltmeter, what do you do? make sure you are at the house when the voltmeter reads at about 36 volts after you sit for a minute or two?

It was nice to have both of them.......
chasenfish16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenfish16 View Post
I reset it and it worked for a few minutes then went back to doing the same thing. I even checked all the connections. So I guess it is bad?

So when people strictly work off a digital voltmeter, what do you do? make sure you are at the house when the voltmeter reads at about 36 volts after you sit for a minute or two?

I dont understand the use of 2 of them? One is accurate to the 10th of a volt... and the other is so inaccurate as to be useless in my opinion. Reference the chart below that I send with my meters. According to Trojan battery manufacture you should be back on the charger when your pack as been depleted by 50%.
Of course you can draw the pack down further than this if needed.
Drawing the pack down below the 50% charge mark decreases the number of times that you can recharge the pack two 100%
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC-new-print-003.jpg (53.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:

I agree with Scotty, the Voltmeters are way better than the bar type. They give real time voltage to a tenth of a volt easy to use too; in your case you should stop using the cart when it hits 36.3v which is 50%. Also remember the reading is taken when stopped, not while driving...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As Jake has said when looking at Scotty's meter reads in real time so it will fluctuate when driving always stop and and sit for approx 5 min to get a more accurate value of SOC
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:59 AM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So when people strictly work off a digital voltmeter, what do you do?

I copied this chart idea from another forum member as a quick reminder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image10-800.jpg (139.3 KB, 0 views)
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I pretty much use the 70% rule on my carts when making lots of short trips and not recharging everyday. So like 37v and 49v respectively.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I like this analog state of charge indicator. It is basically a voltmeter and you can tell at a glance how you batteries voltage is holding up under load. It can be left connected but it draws a small amount of current (.016 amps) http://aevcenter.com/cart/images/336.jpg
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO