lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
Hardheaded
Not Yet Wild

Default Rebuilding older electric EZ-GO

I have a old EZ-Go electric cart that I am rebuilding and I need to find out some info.. I am trying to figure out wiring and where I can find parts. The body is in good shape and frame but there is no wiring. Basically I want to build this into a good all around cart. The serial tag I found on it reads EZ-GO Textron serial number is 80F7 202913.. I have no idea what year it is to even begin. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am redoing everything so if you have parts or if you know where I can find them would be awesome. I am a newbie to the golf cart world but have been rebuilding cars and trucks for years so the work doesn't bother me if I can get pointers.
Hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rebuilding older electric EZ-GO

I am going to guess it is a 1980 model, post pictures and you will receive all of the help you need here.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
criley
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardheaded View Post
I have a old EZ-Go electric cart that I am rebuilding and I need to find out some info.. I am trying to figure out wiring and where I can find parts. The body is in good shape and frame but there is no wiring. Basically I want to build this into a good all around cart. The serial tag I found on it reads EZ-GO Textron serial number is 80F7 202913.. I have no idea what year it is to even begin. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am redoing everything so if you have parts or if you know where I can find them would be awesome. I am a newbie to the golf cart world but have been rebuilding cars and trucks for years so the work doesn't bother me if I can get pointers.
You can go to the ezgo site and plug that number in and find out everything about your cart. However as a general rule the last two numbers on the manufacturers code (not serial number) are the model year.

One you figure out what year it is you can find the manual and you are off to the races.
criley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Hardheaded.......you said there is no wiring.....is there a controller? do you know if it is any good? it seems like what you really have is a good body, frame, suspension.....why don't you up grade everything ...... even if you want to keep it at stock performance, put all new 2001 and UP electronics....use the wiring diagram for that year.....and find parts will be very easy for many years to come.

oh and btw......CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Hardheaded.......you said there is no wiring.....is there a controller? do you know if it is any good? it seems like what you really have is a good body, frame, suspension.....why don't you up grade everything ...... even if you want to keep it at stock performance, put all new 2001 and UP electronics....use the wiring diagram for that year.....and find parts will be very easy for many years to come.

oh and btw......CONGRATS on the ride, and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!

Welcome to BGW! x2 on that Sir nuke. It would take care of a lot of problems, UNLESS you are after a concourse 'd elegance period piece and want all the wiring and components to match as well......
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Hardheaded
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the welcoming.. To sir nuke you are correct there is absolutely no electronics at all besides the motor. Would that be possible to go ahead and upgrade to newer electronics? I am still learning all these electronics but as long as I can get input I am sure it can be figured out.. But if that's the better and more convent way then I will do that. So where would I start as far as buying parts and stuff?

And to kellybell I am not looking for all original. I am going to use this around the farm. Hunting and going camping. So I am up for anything to make this thing work and be dependable... That's all I want..
Old 02-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Hardheaded
Not Yet Wild

I will post some pics of what I am starting with ASAP..
Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardheaded View Post
Thanks for the welcoming.. To sir nuke you are correct there is absolutely no electronics at all besides the motor. Would that be possible to go ahead and upgrade to newer electronics? I am still learning all these electronics but as long as I can get input I am sure it can be figured out.. But if that's the better and more convent way then I will do that. So where would I start as far as buying parts and stuff?

And to kellybell I am not looking for all original. I am going to use this around the farm. Hunting and going camping. So I am up for anything to make this thing work and be dependable... That's all I want..
your cart is a series cart......and the motor you have will work, even with newer electronics. what you have to do is to build it as a series cart with an entire series drive system. but before you start....make some choices, what do you want to get out of your cart? as in how are you going to use it, a neighborhood cruiser? off road? stock height tires? lifted? how fast do you want it to go? these are all questions you need to answer......and the answers will determine the equipment you will need to have/get to build a reliable cart.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
Hardheaded
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
your cart is a series cart......and the motor you have will work, even with newer electronics. what you have to do is to build it as a series cart with an entire series drive system. but before you start....make some choices, what do you want to get out of your cart? as in how are you going to use it, a neighborhood cruiser? off road? stock height tires? lifted? how fast do you want it to go? these are all questions you need to answer......and the answers will determine the equipment you will need to have/get to build a reliable cart.
The cart is going to be used more off road than on. I do want to do a lift with a little bigger tire. I wouldn't mind if it did go a little faster but it doesn't have to be to much. It's going to go hunting mostly and at campgrounds.. I am trying to do this somewhat on a budget also. Thanks for all your help.. I am ready to get this going I just wanna make sure I buy once and not three times. Would you have the motor rebuilt or replace it? I found a guy not to far from me the rebuilds them. I just didn't know if that's better and more cost efficient?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

First step is gonna be to test that motor to see if it runs. Search on this site for "test run a series motor" and you'll find a post with how to do it, it's really simple. You could take it to the local rebuilder and have him check it out and clean it up, at the very least put in some new brushes if the current ones are worn. This will be the most cost effective.

Next step is gonna be to realize that since you've got just a motor, you're gonna be way ahead to go with upgraded electronics and build your own drive system, and that this is gonna cost a little money.

For your described wants I would definitely go 48 volts, that alone when run on your current 36 volt motor will give you a 33% increase in speed and torque over stock. Then I'd get a controller with enough amperage to get those bigger tires really rolling when you come up against a hill, probably 500 amp. You'll have to have a HD solenoid and F/R switch, as well as running all the amperage delivery (main) cables in 2ga. You'll also have to have a potentiometer to hook up to the throttle for your controller to work, the Curtis PB-6 is the industry standard.

Contact Scottyb at cartsunlimited.net (he's a site sponsor and cart genius) and tell him just what you posted about your wants and build goals, and he'll tell you what you need (the stuff I mentioned above most likely, but if he recommends something different then definitely go with his advice) and be able to hook you up with it.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO