lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Smith1000
Not Yet Wild

Default '93 Carryall will not back up

I acquired this cart non running and now have it running, but it will not back up. I can get it into reverse fine and it buzzes, but it acts like it is locked in place and will not move--is very solid and nothing will rotate (in reverse). If I put it in neutral, it can be driven forward just like forward. Both forward and neutral are "forward."

I read that I should pull off the link cable and give it a try, which I did and it behaves exactly the same. Also, when in reverse, with the engine off, it cannot be rolled forward or backwards. It is like it is locked in place. when I shift it to neutral, I can roll it forward or backward. Also, when I shift it to forward with the engine off, I can roll it forward or backwards.

When idling low in neutral, with the brake off, it sometimes will lurch forward a little bit spontaneously. If I drive it, neutral or forward works fine for going forward. Is there some type of adjustment that can be made to correct for this? Seems like it is in the transmission, but I thought there may be some type of safety lock that cannot be released to go in reverse unless I change something else. I don't know much about golf carts. When driving it, it scoots right along just fine. Thanks.
Smith1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Smith1000
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '93 Carryall will not back up

I just read some information that said the syncros can get stuck in the tranny locking it up in the reverse position, and it may break free while rocking forward and back, or side to side. Sounds like this may work best if on an up hill incline, going forward, with a quick shift into reverse. I'll give that a try tomorrow. Bet it can be broken free.
Smith1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: '93 Carryall will not back up

Stuck in gear is different than bad syncros.
A cart stuck in gear will not let gear selector move.

Syncros are probably not damaged(yet). Trying to pop them loose as described above will not fix problem(worn/disintegrated friction disks) and could damage gears.

There are friction disks in the f/r syncro pack.

These tend to disintegrate over time locking the transmission in gear.

Trying to break them free can damage them.

If you can use F/R shifter and you are getting proper movement at shift arm on transaxle.

Then you should probably pull transaxle.

You can leave one wheel on transaxle to act as stand.

Then split and remove synchro assy.

The friction disks are not expensive, but gears must be pressed off to install new disks / then pressed back on.

Removing transaxle and splitting it is not a huge deal-- but not a job for novice.

Experienced tech will do ok. -- take lots of pictures
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car