lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
mohowardcg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV rear axle oil--how to install?

I know it's an old post, but helped tremendously. Thanks for all the input here. I'm new and the info on here is great.
mohowardcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #22
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by VieraDave View Post
..... then i removed the drivers side rear wheel, hub assembly and axle which came out easily. I then MacGyver'd a funnel and some old PVC 1/4" pipe so that i could pour the oil right into the diff through the axle tube. Down the hatch and BAM done. Then i put everything back together and now she'll sit parked for 24 hours while the RTV gasket cures. I hope this helps!!!! I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have!!!
I use the air vent on top of the axle and a hand pump from auto parts store. You remove some gear oil from the container. So you have 3oz less than total oil needed. Then add 3oz limited slip oil, hand pump it in. The pump screws right onto the gear oil bottle. Just choose the inside pump tube that will reach to the bottom of oil bottom. It took seconds. Air vent cap back on.
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #23
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I used a syringe with rubber hose.pushed in fill plug to remove old fluid,then used same method to fill rear till oil stoped running out fill plug. Pumped in about a quart of oil since I wanted to flush out old oil. Did this to replace stock 30 wt. oil with gear oil. Once done replaced fill cap,done.
This on 2012 txt rear.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #24
RXV_DIY
Not Yet Wild

How do you know this needs to be done though!? I have a 2012 RXV that makes a groaning sound when making slow turns. Sounds like the noise is coming from the back but hard to tell. Is this what my issue is?
RXV_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #25
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yes, and be sure to use oil for limited slip axles. And an extra 2oz of friction modifier dont hurt either.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:22 PM   #26
DB Cooper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm looking to take this on, has anyone documented this and can recommend replacement gasket and any bearings. My battle plan would be to drop the pan, spray grease/brake cleaner in, replace gasket, reinstall pan, then fill. I'm still a bit confused on if I need a pump to fill, sounds like I can do this without jacking (I'm lifted) by using a pump through the breather?

I'm, also confused on whether I should just buy gear oil with posi-additive AND add more additive.

I was hoping someone had a parts list and more specific instructions as it seems there's multiple ways to skin this cat. 25 ounce of good oil and a friction reducer along with the hand pump seems like enough, just unsure if there's a gasket or anything else I should replace once it's broken apart.
DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #27
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Does anyone have a video or picture by picture tutorial to change the rear diff fluid? My 2011 RXV Electric whines a lot.
hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #28
RXV_DIY
Not Yet Wild

Gentlemen, just did this last night. I知 handy but not necessarily mechanically. This was easy even for me. I have a 2012 RXV. Jacked up the cart, drained the oil by pulling the plug from the pan(barely any came out which had me concerned and is clearly why I had whining and groaning) unbolted the pan and separated it from the dif. Saturated the inside of dif and pan with break cleaner to get any excess oil out and. Leaned inside of pan. Scraped all the old rtv gasket off and applied the new rtv gasket. Placed the pan back up and bolted her back on.(I made an erro by not letting the gasket dry a bit. Read the directions after the fact that said to hand tighten the bolts, let the gasket spew out and dry for an hour, then righted all the way. I went straight to tightening all the way. Whoops. Hopefully I put enough gasket sealer on there that I値l be okay) I let it sit over night and will fill it today. I have a funnel that is connected to a pvc tube that should allow me to fill from the drain plug what I can and the rest through the vent valve. I went with Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil(25oz) and TransX Posi Trac friction additive(2oz).
RXV_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #29
hammertime
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can you take photos or video today? Also a complete material list? The local shop can do it for $105 but might try myself. I looked last night and I知 not sure where to start tha why photos would be awesome!! I have a 2011 rxv
hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #30
DB Cooper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV_DIY View Post
Gentlemen, just did this last night. I知 handy but not necessarily mechanically. This was easy even for me. I have a 2012 RXV. Jacked up the cart, drained the oil by pulling the plug from the pan(barely any came out which had me concerned and is clearly why I had whining and groaning) unbolted the pan and separated it from the dif. Saturated the inside of dif and pan with break cleaner to get any excess oil out and. Leaned inside of pan. Scraped all the old rtv gasket off and applied the new rtv gasket. Placed the pan back up and bolted her back on.(I made an erro by not letting the gasket dry a bit. Read the directions after the fact that said to hand tighten the bolts, let the gasket spew out and dry for an hour, then righted all the way. I went straight to tightening all the way. Whoops. Hopefully I put enough gasket sealer on there that I値l be okay) I let it sit over night and will fill it today. I have a funnel that is connected to a pvc tube that should allow me to fill from the drain plug what I can and the rest through the vent valve. I went with Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil(25oz) and TransX Posi Trac friction additive(2oz).
This is the approach I've been envisioning in my head. Can you share what gasket you used? Yours sounds like a goo, but I've seen actual paper/fiber gaskets for RXVs.

I'd love to see pictures and a report on how well filling from the vent valve goes as well as how many ounces you get in through the drain plug before that goes over.
DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO