lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 95 club car running poorly

I have a 95 club car that was running fine all summer. It would sometimes have the S/G hesitation at startup but otherwise ran fine once it was rolling.

I got on it a few weeks ago to take hunting and it was like it would struggle to start regardless of if I choked it or not. It would just turn over and over. Once it did start it would run fine for random distances then it was like it would go to half throttle. Didn't seem like it was flooding or bogging down, just like I was letting off the throttle. I could hold it wide open and it would fly for 50-100 ft then back off for a sec or two then catch back up to full speed again. it has a new carb on it (year or two old). I removed it and cleaned it good. Full of black soot. The spark plug was full of black soot. While it was hesitating to go it would also smoke from the exhaust.

Could the fuel pump be going out? Intake leak? Losing compression?
drewbaby88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 95 club car running poorly

You can test the fuel pump by popping the hose off the carb and cycling the motor. And a compression test will tell you if you're losing compression or not.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I made the mistake of going to the BB section and now I'm really itching to just swap the FE290 out and drop in something with more power. I'm not concerned with my ability to do the swap but how much is involved in going V Twin vs 460cc single? Is the cost worth it? I see the 460cc is $599 from Vegas Carts but I would still need the brackets, clutch, etc. correct?
Old 11-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Nice. LOL. I'd post a thread in the BB section if you want to know more.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
Chuckie
Getting Wild

I just found out last night that my muffler is clogged cause I had no power for anything. It starts fine but would not rev up. took the muffler off the headpipe and bang back to normal. Now I'm going to try to clear whatever is in there cause a new muffler is expensive.
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
compmikey
Getting Wild

Club Car

Maybe shake it while a vacuum cleaner is connected to the head flange?
Just a thought. I suppose if all else fails, you could cut the muffler open then weld it back together after cleaning.
compmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
ridepate
Not Yet Wild

Plug one end, fill it up with Easy-Off Oven-Cleaner....Let it soak over night then rinse with water....Done! Just don't get much on your skin....It will burn you!
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Chuckie "accidentally" hijacked this thread... let's try to stick with Drews original post!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quick update: if I take the air filter out, it runs with out the up and down throttle sensation but it still feels "flat". I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake/carb/air box and no RPM changes. I didn't use a torch tip cleaner on carb jets but I did clean it out thoroughly with carb cleaner.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #10
drewbaby88
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Could it be the ignitor starting to fail? I thought that those usually work or don't. They aren't something that fails over time. I don't know what else to check at this point. How can I check compression easily without the proper tool?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car