lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
ezgoKindaGuy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1988 marathon ez-go motor issue?

Good day everyone,

My name is R.C. and I am new to this site. After searching around I feel like this place could really help me since I am always buying carts. Maybe I could help someone in the future as well.

I have a resistor 1988 Marathon EZ-GO 36 volts. I just put new batteries in it and upgraded the wiring to 4 GA wire and new solenoid, new speed switch wiper. The cart ran good before I took it apart and installed the new parts. After putting everything back-together it doesn't move an inch. I was back tracking my steps when I noticed that the terminal coming out of the motor just spins.

1. What is that terminal connected to inside the motor? Its a 2hp motor. (I'm pretty positive it is a stock motor).

2. Can I take the motor off and somehow open it and replace/rebuild any parts inside?

2A. If so, what is the name of the part?

If not, I was looking to upgrade to new motor. The only thing I can find is a 8 hp motor.

3. If I purchase this 8 hp motor, what else do I need to upgrade on this cart to make it compatible with such an increase in hp? Thanks for the help in advance.

-RC
ezgoKindaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 marathon ez-go motor issue?

There are four terminals on the motor. Two connect to the stator windings and two connect to the brushes (armature).

Motor breakdown is about 2/3 of the way towards the back of attached parts manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 88 Elec Golf X440 X444.pdf (5.16 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
boatcrazy67
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 91 marathon and when I was taking the cables off the motor I didn't use two wrenches to hold both nuts. One terminal spun a little and I was concerned it spun so much it disconnected the wire connections in the motor. Fortunately when I took the motor apart I found everything was ok. Just a word of caution when removing the wires, etc. I'm new to carts and just took out my electric motor to inspect the brushes and connections inside. Get ready for some dust if you blow out the case with air. It's not to difficult to take the motor out and apart. I wrapped a tow strap around the motor and pulled it out from on top. The strap helped because the motor is a little heavy. Good luck.
boatcrazy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
ezgoKindaGuy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
There are four terminals on the motor. Two connect to the stator windings and two connect to the brushes (armature).

Motor breakdown is about 2/3 of the way towards the back of attached parts manual.
Awesome Thanks for the manual. I will take apart tonight. Would you happen to know if I can upgrade to a "high torque" motor on this cart without upgrading anything else? Or buy new or bigger coils if the motor is shot and cant replace it. Thanks
Old 01-14-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
ezgoKindaGuy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcrazy67 View Post
I have a 91 marathon and when I was taking the cables off the motor I didn't use two wrenches to hold both nuts. One terminal spun a little and I was concerned it spun so much it disconnected the wire connections in the motor. Fortunately when I took the motor apart I found everything was ok. Just a word of caution when removing the wires, etc. I'm new to carts and just took out my electric motor to inspect the brushes and connections inside. Get ready for some dust if you blow out the case with air. It's not to difficult to take the motor out and apart. I wrapped a tow strap around the motor and pulled it out from on top. The strap helped because the motor is a little heavy. Good luck.
Very helpful thank you. Yeah I did the same exact thing as well. Except I sat there and spun the bolt quite a bit not thinking if anything would be attached to the other side. Did your cart stop working at all?
Old 01-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
boatcrazy67
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

no fortunately when it began to turn on me my brain kicked in and realized it wasn't right. It didn't turn enough to get disconnected from the internal wiring so the motor still ran. I got lucky. Good luck.
boatcrazy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
FelixEzGo1988
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks a lot for this manual! I just bough a 1988 marathon and i have to fix a lot of things.
FelixEzGo1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1988 ezgo, ez-go 36volt, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO