lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
ANIMKEG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Solid state speed control confirmation?

Is there a way to confirm that a cart is solid state?

With my 98 xi500 and the issues im working thru the diagram i found here for solid state matches the best. 2 issues ive found that didnt match up on my cart was the ms4 switch i had was a single and the potbox only had 2 wire instead of 4 wire.

The cart wasnt running when i got it so im curious if this was an odd set up or the previous owners tried slapping parts on it at some point.

Im waiting on the new potbox now so i can wire it exactly like the diagram but im still wondering if im on the right path.

JonnieB has given me some pretty solid help so far so hopefully i can get a answer on this so i can sleep at night...lol

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
ANIMKEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Solid state speed control confirmation?

i know johnnieb will jump in but for what its worth ... i have seen them with just one micro switch ... the missing one (m4) was to the reverse buzzer
now go get some sleep
Old 05-23-2016, 11:50 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Any drive system with a pot (potentiometer) is a solid state speed control system.
Potentiometers are used to indicate the pedal position to the speed controller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
ANIMKEG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JonnieB,

Can you take a look at this potbox that came off my cart?
On this box it dosent match the configuration from the diagram, but on the ezgo website they sell this type of box.

I guess my question is if I proceed with a new potbox that has the 4 wire set up and wire cart exactly like the diagram I should be good?

other than if the controller is bad, I tested motor and its good. I haven't been able to test the controller because of all the other issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg potbox.JPG (83.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg E-Z-GO_Solid_State.jpg (214.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Guess what I found.

The XI-875 and XI-500 are very different body styles, but appear to have same drive system electrically.

The XI-875 does not have 1/2 speed reverse, so a double microswitch is not used and the potbox only has 2 wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XI-875 Schematic-2.JPG (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMKEG View Post
JonnieB,

Can you take a look at this potbox that came off my cart?
On this box it dosent match the configuration from the diagram, but on the ezgo website they sell this type of box.

I guess my question is if I proceed with a new potbox that has the 4 wire set up and wire cart exactly like the diagram I should be good?

other than if the controller is bad, I tested motor and its good. I haven't been able to test the controller because of all the other issues.
We posted at the same time.

The pot in you picture doesn't look like there were ever more wires attached, so the schematic I posted above is what you have. (No half speed reverse)
Old 05-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

On a 4 wire pot 2 wires go to a switch which when closed reduces the pot signal by 50%. You can use a 4 wire pot in a 2 wire system by insuring the 1/2 speed wires do not touch one another. I did not read where you tested the pot output? Maybe I missed that, But a 2 wire pot is available. Be sure to get 0-5k output

This thing costs less than lunch in China.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nivel pot.JPG (41.1 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
ANIMKEG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

WOW!! now this is interesting, with this new diagram you found looks exactly what I have, but now im still confused.

here is a pic of how it was wired, notice they had the blue wire coming from controller spot 1 over to ms3 switch. where in this new diagram it shows it going over to the key switch.

At the ms1 location ( where I found the white wire) shows it going to the fuse block then over to B- via white wire.

this is all doable now with parts I have.

I have the double switch now for the ms1, should I go back to the single like shown in diagram? and wire cart per this new diagram and see what happens?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg potwire.JPG (122.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMKEG View Post
WOW!! now this is interesting, with this new diagram you found looks exactly what I have, but now im still confused.

here is a pic of how it was wired, notice they had the blue wire coming from controller spot 1 over to ms3 switch. where in this new diagram it shows it going over to the key switch.

At the ms1 location ( where I found the white wire) shows it going to the fuse block then over to B- via white wire.

this is all doable now with parts I have.

I have the double switch now for the ms1, should I go back to the single like shown in diagram? and wire cart per this new diagram and see what happens?
The schematic shows the white wire connecting +12V to fuse block.
Apparently a 12V beeper was used. If you take a close look at the other schematic, you'll see a 6V beeper was used.

Whether you use the single or double microswitch depends if you want the cart to go full speed or half speed in reverse.

The blue wire on the controller, is what powers up the controller and if it is connected to the switched output of the keyswitch, the controller powers up when the key is turned on. If the blue wire is connected to the C terminal on MS-3 like it is on the other schematic, both a the key has to be on and a direction selected on the F/R to get the controller to power up. Either way works. Your choice - pick one.

What it boils down to is that there are many ways to wire a cart and EZGO has used several of them.

---------
The main issue is whether the cart runs or not and everything concerning the single or double microswitch is secondary. The cart will run without that switch installed. MS-2 is the one that runs the cart.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #10
ANIMKEG
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Gotcha, i think i got a good grasp of it now especially how everything is suppose to work. Im going to try and get it hooked up tonight and see what happens.

JonnieB i really appreciate all the help i hope it wasn't to much trouble. I will be donating for sure because this resource is soo valuable to guys like me.

Side note: i may need a controller if this dosnt work can you suggest one? Or would have have one for sale?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO