lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
dug232323
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Brand new to this...2006 EZGO TXT Used, controller was on fire

Hey guys, brand new here so if I appear stupid it may be the case that I am stupid.

I bought a used cart a couple days ago. Got a pretty decent deal because the guy said it had a bad controller. Found a place that would rebuild it for around $200. They just called and said they can't rebuild this one because its completely melted inside. I can get another rebuilt controller for a little more, so that's not the issue but I'm assuming something caused it and that is my concern.

The guy that took apart the controller said it appears the tow/run switch is where it started but he couldn't say for sure. I can tell you that wiring harness was completely melted.

It does have after market tires and rims on it so perhaps that is what caused it. Not sure if I should go with an upgraded controller now or get the rebuilt one on the cheap and see if the cart at least functions before I dump a lot more into it. Any suggestions?
dug232323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Brand new to this...2006 EZGO TXT Used, controller was on fire

Welcome to BGW!

If it's an 06 with a run tow it's a PDS cart. Big tires could cause the controller to over heat. These carts are simple, they all run, some just need a few extra parts. Money spent on controller repair is wasted in my opinion because it's not going to last, that's well documented.

Upgrade to XCT400PDS control and you will be happy you did.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
dug232323
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks man, kind of what I thought and read but wanted an opinion of someone that has owned one for more than two days like myself. Only thing that made me nervous was that the thing melted so severely; to the point that the guy that sees several a day said it was strange. Thanks again for the response, I will look at upgrading.
dug232323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have seen carts burn to the ground. It happens. But it only happens when something isn't right like loads exceed the supply component capacity.
That's why everything in the cart has to be rated up to and matched to the carts heaviest day's duty.
And as for rebuilders, they are no good but for cart flippers. They do not rebuild they repair. They fix what's broken today on an old control and press it back into service. There is no list of replaced parts like a motor rebuilder giving you new bearings and rings. Anyway - you know what I mean. Go new, go big, you'll be glad you did. My favorite cart is an 08 PDS with aftermarket control and motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conrtoller, melted
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO