lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
tw39515
Not Yet Wild

Default Term Storage Charge not working

Long Term Storage Charge. my dad has a 2011 clubcar precedent ph1140 is the start of the serial numer, with powerdrive 3 model 26580-31 charger. it doesent get driven alot, from my understanding every 15 days it willl charge if pluged in all the tiime. well today it must dipped below 32 volts and wouldnt charge back up.i bypassed the relay ad it charged to 52 volts ad 8.5 volts per batterey. it was bought used so no telling whats been hacked. what would prevent it from auto charging every 15 days as it stays plugged in to top it up. he had some problems with he charger and had it repaired but i dont think that has anything to do with it since the obc initiates the 15 day auto charge. any advice it seems to run fine now with no blinking battery lights but i dont ever seem to have sen the light to ever work. Tanks to a golf cart noob but a good ac service tech a busness pbx installer.
P.S. thanks in advance confused as all get out any tips greatly appreciated.
tw39515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Term Storage Charge not working

Since You by-passed the charger relay to get it started, You need to reset the OBC.

Put the cart on TOW.

Just unplug the pack negative cable and leave it OFF for at least 10 minutes.

After You connect the cable back, put the cart on RUN, turn the key ON and try to drive.

The battery warning light should illuminate to indicate the OBC has been reset.

Plug the charger and let it finish a charging cycle.

When the cart is on long term storage, make sure the Tow/Run switch is on TOW to reduce power usage.

Periodically (once a month) check the water on the batteries and test the charging system.

To test disconnect the DC cord from the cart, wait 5 seconds and plug it back in.

The charger should come ON and the ammeter should briefly show current as the OBC runs a quick diagnostic.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
tw39515
Not Yet Wild

ok thanks serg i will reset obc. what do you think caused the long term storage charge not to charge on the 15 th day and let it dip below 32 volts in the first place he always leaves it plugged in. what really worries me is it my dads cart and he never uses it and with the charger not coming on every 15 days if it happens again hes really hurting the life of batteries. the batteries are fairly new and some else jumped it to get charging going again so i dont know how low the total voltage was. maybe he just got lucky not damaging them. one more thing i dont think ive ever seen the battery warnig light ever come on and he said the same thing, no telling whats been done to the cart as he bought it used with 1 year old or less batteries,
Old 02-28-2017, 09:51 PM   #4
tw39515
Not Yet Wild

**** and theres no thanks button or like post button. thanks again.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I'm not real sure but it seems I've read that the 15 day recharge will not work if AC power has been lost for the charger. When that happens you need to remove and reinstall the DC cord.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:17 AM   #6
tw39515
Not Yet Wild

i remember reading that to just didn't know if there is way to test the obc for that function. i wonder if my best option is to install a battery maintainer. thank you for the reply. TW
i just checked my router up time and it has 70 days up-time with no power loss, i guess if he hasn't charged for longer than that that could be it.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you find the OEM system needs replacing look at a DPI Accusense charger. It will float charge the batteries and recharge every month, a more realistic solution.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
tw39515
Not Yet Wild

is it dependent on the obc for the float and monthy charging. or is it onboard on the charger. Thanks for the recommendation. all of the shops around here have given different info, and don't have very good reputations in my opinion.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The OBC has no way to detect AC power, so it only knows the AC is missing when it tries to start a charge (every 15 days).

If the AC power is OFF when a charge cycle starts, it will continue to try for 7 days before it hibernates.

You may want to spray WD40 on the DC charger plug and insert/remove it several times to clean up any oxidation on the sense pin.

It would have taken over a year for the pack to self discharge that much, so a simple lack of charging was not the cause.

Perhaps the cart or some accessory was left ON.

Definitely do the OBC reset, a full charge, check the water levels and measure the individual batteries to make sure they are all above 8.5v.

You really should have someone once a month do the simple task of unplugging, waiting 5 sec, plugging the DC cord back and checking the charger starts and stops.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:31 AM   #10
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you get the Accusense charger, you will be bypassing the OBC.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long term storage charge
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car