lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2017, 11:51 PM   #1
Roosters 67
Not Yet Wild

Default '05 txt debating on battery source...FLA or Li-ion

OK, new poster, been lurking. I guess I am just looking for collusion on my plan. I am buying an 05 txt 36V PDS cart without a battery system in place. I am debating on a 6x6V FLA system..cost of about $655. Obviously the cart is set up for FLA. OR going with 5 Nissan leaf modules which will cost about $750 for the modules and add $400 or so for the BMS, charge cut solenoid,cabling,etc. I am more than capable of the mechanics and tech involved to go either way. I ask your opinion as to "which is the best money spent?" Granted, 210AH of FLA or 62AH of Li-ion. I am not trying to run mud bogs,climb the everlasting hill, do a sprint run of 90MI, or drag 1000 lbs of moose out of the montana backcountry. I am an occasional golfer(36 Rds at most), and most use will be around a campground, probably less than 15MI a day. I figure either will suffice for the use intended. I guess my question is..Is it worth the Li-Ion conversion to not have to deal with all the downsides of FLA and the associated issues, and just spend a little more to go with Li-Ion?
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: '05 txt debating on battery source...FLA or Li-ion

I went Lithium and could not be happier. No one has ever said they regret the decision.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:28 AM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Rooster, where are you getting your getting your lithium pack from?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

i am unfamiliar with the lifespan of Li. if it were me i would definitely go with lithium...too many pluses to ignore that option.....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I was told Lithium would lose about 5% per year. So if your pack starts out giving you 25 miles of range then 8 years from now you'll still have 15 miles range.

In 4+ years you'll be replacing the FLA. You may possibly get 6 years out of FLA but they usually fail before that.

I didn't see you mention a charger for your FLA. If it's a dumb charger then it won't do the float charge that FLAs like. You may end up spending $300 on an FLA charger as well, so don't forget that in your equation.

Also, where are you getting the Leaf cells?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Venteuri
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Go Li. Definitely
And the price you mention is very good. I expect $2000

The question is if 62 Ah is enough. Shouldn't it be 100 Ah?
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Roosters 67
Not Yet Wild

I have been looking at different sources for the leaf Li-Ion modules to assemble the battery bank, Ebay and evbatterycenter.com mostly. The existing FLA charger coming with the cart is a smart charger, it will do float. I need to get the make and model of it, it may be Li-Ion compatible too. I will know within a week if the 62ah will be enough for my use, if not, I can parallel another 5 cells and double it to 124Ah.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Who are you going to get to make your BMS? The person who was doing it for EVBattery has fallen very ill and thus EV has stopped selling their kits.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Roosters 67
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKSoft84 View Post
Who are you going to get to make your BMS? The person who was doing it for EVBattery has fallen very ill and thus EV has stopped selling their kits.
Well, I have been looking for a good and suitable option. I have found a few 10S balancers with fairly reasonable costs, finding one that offers a high volt cut off to shut down the charger is turning out to be harder to find. Not quite sure yet. It would be nice to find an all in one solution. Management of cell balance and charging or charging control in one would be great. Would be really nice to find an onboard charger with integrated balancing.

If anyone has a good suggestion I am all open to good ones.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
Venteuri
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

You can find some good info in here

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-lithium.html

http://elitepowersolutions.com/produ...products_id=92
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO