lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Best way to use RXV charger on other carts

I am planning on upgrading some 36 volt txt series carts with powerwise to 48 volts. I have a source to used 48 Volts RXV chargers. What is the easiest and most economical way to convert RXV Chargers to other carts (I realized easiest and most economical may not be the same)

I have looked at simply swapping cables, but that delta Q cable is glued in and sealed nicely, I hate to tear all of that out.

I have found RXV to SB-50 adapters, but no powerwise.

Eventually I want to be able to use these RXV chargers on Yamaha and Club car as well.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Best way to use RXV charger on other carts

Solder a 10k resistor from the black wire to the green wire inside the charger handle, might work (simulates a good temp sensor reading, which a QE requires). If not, a rxv cart charge port is the only other option. Why the he%& would you want a QE powerwise (fin charger), they are unreliable junk. That charger will not play nicely on a Clubcar, because a 48v club car has the charger "brains" onboard the cart, not in the charger like Yamaha and Ezgo does. Time to study up.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
cgtech

Yamaha

If you are dealing with the QE charger, ask more detailed questions, and I can give more detailed answers. I really think you should avoid those "big finned" QE chargers, they are junk. I have a mountain of failed ones, and I am not alone for "dead QE charger mountain". Unless you are "flipping a quick, scandalous, buck" they are a disservice to building a loyal customer base (I guess you are setting up a cart building deal). Ezgo dropped that model charger, and there was a reason why. I find the only good use for them is scavenge parts & use the heatsink for projects like pelts.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:49 AM   #4
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If you are dealing with the QE charger, ask more detailed questions, and I can give more detailed answers. I really think you should avoid those "big finned" QE chargers, they are junk. I have a mountain of failed ones, and I am not alone for "dead QE charger mountain". Unless you are "flipping a quick, scandalous, buck" they are a disservice to building a loyal customer base (I guess you are setting up a cart building deal). Ezgo dropped that model charger, and there was a reason why. I find the only good use for them is scavenge parts & use the heatsink for projects like pelts.
Thanks for the info. I had no idea they were not good. Actually, I do not know for sure that they are QE Chargers, all I know is that they are used RXV chargers and I assumed they were QE.

I am getting them from a guy who converts RXV's to street legal LSV's and he puts new chargers with his. He offered me working 48v chargers for $150, maybe lower if I buy QTY.

Did the RXV use more than one type of Charger?

My real issue is this. I have 36 volt TXT series carts I need to upgrade. I can upgrade the 36v motor, Controller, and Solenoid OR I can keep stock motor and upgrade Charger and controller. Since a guy offered me a deal on the RXV chargers, I was thinking about the 48v option.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:16 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Originally they used the Delta-Q built charger specified by Ezgo to Delta-q. I think the problem was price point. I don't dislike Delta-Q products in general. The QuiQ charger (another Delta-Q product) is the only "new style, high frequency charger" that I would consider a decent charger not based on the old "transformer style" charger (you know, big, heavy, makes humming sound while charging). My opinion is this, Ezgo says to Delta-q, "we want you to build a charger system that does this & this & this, but the price must not exceed $XX.xx per unit", Delta-Q builds this cheap charger for Ezgo. Failure rates are high, warranty costs are high, and worst of all (for Delta-Q) charger reputation is tarnished. That was all just my opinion. They now use a Delta-Q charger known as SC-48, so far it has been good, time will tell. The new charger definitely seems "beefier". I would say for the best $ bang-for-buck with quality, use DPI chargers, USA made, 2 years warranty, no BS. We order our new Yamahas from the factory with DPI chargers from them (at extra cost per cart), I wish Ezgo offered us that option.

About the 36v upgrade, all Ezgo 36v "series" carts can run stock 36v motors on 48v, Ezgo PDS "sepex" motors live best on 42v or less.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check eBay pricing. You might want to buy these chargers for resale... then take the money and buy what you really need chargerwise
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally they used the Delta-Q built charger specified by Ezgo to Delta-q. I think the problem was price point. I don't dislike Delta-Q products in general. The QuiQ charger (another Delta-Q product) is the only "new style, high frequency charger" that I would consider a decent charger not based on the old "transformer style" charger (you know, big, heavy, makes humming sound while charging). My opinion is this, Ezgo says to Delta-q, "we want you to build a charger system that does this & this & this, but the price must not exceed $XX.xx per unit", Delta-Q builds this cheap charger for Ezgo. Failure rates are high, warranty costs are high, and worst of all (for Delta-Q) charger reputation is tarnished. That was all just my opinion. They now use a Delta-Q charger known as SC-48, so far it has been good, time will tell. The new charger definitely seems "beefier". I would say for the best $ bang-for-buck with quality, use DPI chargers, USA made, 2 years warranty, no BS. We order our new Yamahas from the factory with DPI chargers from them (at extra cost per cart), I wish Ezgo offered us that option.

About the 36v upgrade, all Ezgo 36v "series" carts can run stock 36v motors on 48v, Ezgo PDS "sepex" motors live best on 42v or less.
The Chargers I am getting for $150 or less are the QuiQ Chargers, the yellow top ones that are very flat. I misunderstood/mispoke, I thought you were saying ALL Delta Q RXV chargers were junk.

I have seen and have one of the more boxy style black chargers, the ones with a handle on top, that have no meters, just three little lights. I am guessing those are the QE Chargers you are referring to.

So, If I am reading correctly, the yellow chargers are OK. I just need to solder a resistor between green and black. Now just have to figure out best way to convert to powerwise or Yamaha style plug
Old 08-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

The yellow & black QuiQ ones are a big bargain @ $150!! Buy some. If you want just charger handles & contacts, DPI sells just those parts pretty cheap.

The crummy small QE chargers are black or silver, their defining characteristic is they all have many thin large aluminum cooling fins. Here's the ones you don't really want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 584214441_tp.jpg (55.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A880_130822346604770379r8gjq9jWY4.jpg (24.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-20-2017, 12:03 AM   #9
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
The yellow & black QuiQ ones are a big bargain @ $150!! Buy some. If you want just charger handles & contacts, DPI sells just those parts pretty cheap.

The crummy small QE chargers are black or silver, their defining characteristic is they all have many thin large aluminum cooling fins. Here's the ones you don't really want.
Thanks for clearing that up, I was just about to bail on those $150 chargers
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO