lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
brianj24
Not Yet Wild

Default Radio Install

I am installing a radio on my electric golf cart. What do I do with the extra wires on the radio harness that I don’t use?
brianj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Radio Install

Nothing, unless they’re in your way or you exposed powered channels you’re not using. If you’re only using two speakers and you exposed copper on the other two, just clip them back or tape them up.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
brianj24
Not Yet Wild

Oh ok. Someone told me they had to be connected to the radio bracket. Did seem right. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
brianj24
Not Yet Wild

Does keeping the Memory wire in constant power drain the battery pack significantly? I have a 48 Bolt cart with a reducer on it, so it is pulling from the whole battery pack.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj24 View Post
Does keeping the Memory wire in constant power drain the battery pack significantly?
By itself, I do not think the drain is important but if you have to keep the voltage reducer on, then it is another story...

The documentation of the reducer should indicate the power (when just on).
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #6
brianj24
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
By itself, I do not think the drain is important but if you have to keep the voltage reducer on, then it is another story...

The documentation of the reducer should indicate the power (when just on).

The reducer will always be one since it’s connected directly to the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is no such a thing as a dedicated "memory wire".

The "constant power" wire provides all the current to power the radio/amplifier when the Radio is ON.

When the Radio is OFF, the "constant power" wire drains a small amount of current to keep memory presets.

The other 12v wire that normally connects to the ignition is just a low current "trigger wire" (usually red) that tells the Radio to turn ON, but all current runs through the "constant power" wire (usually yellow)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj24 View Post
The reducer will always be one since it’s connected directly to the battery.
Don't you have a connection with the key switch which powers the reducer? I would not let the reducer always on for sure...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Put the reducer on a separate switch. Use the radio display to help remind you to turn off reducer when you the park the cart for a charge. Getting around not having to program favorite radio stations when radio is powered up after power down has caused lots of problems with accidental damage to cart controllers, batteries, etc trying to rig up a hybrid haywire solution. I wonder why somebody don't make a AM/FM radio designed for DC golf carts with a programmable read only memory (PROM) that retains program like two-way radios when power source is removed and will operate from 12 to 70 volts DC.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Most radios designed for "marine" use have non-volatile memory for presets.

Radios/head units designed for automobile use work fine if you just remove power from the "switched", usually red Radio wire.

You just need a $5 48v relay wired to the key switch and run the 12v output of the Converter through the relay N.O. contacts.

Any accessory that you want powered all the time, like the "constant power" wire from the Radio gets connected before the relay, but when the key switch is OFF, all accessories, including the Radio will turn OFF.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, radio, wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO