lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
frank43
Not Yet Wild

Default New Owner, 94 Medalist, Need Advice

Hey all,

Brand new to the golf cart life. I am pretty handy when it comes to car repair and such, but completely a newbie to these machines.

So picked up a 1994 Medalist 36V in good shape with new batteries and tires. Frame looks great and so does the interior.

So far I am seeing 2 issues that I need guidance on:

1. Cart runs but super sluggish on even the most modest of hills. I can almost walk faster than the cart with just me on it. (185 LBS). What do I need to check to fix this issue?

2. Brakes dont seem good. I need to press the pedal to the floor to get to a stop. If I am heading downhill, I need to plan ahead and really brake 100%.

Let me know the best way to troubleshoot these issues and advise on repair. Again the batteries are new and charged-just seems SLOOOOW. And braking could be improved.
I am all ears , let me know your thoughts. Glad to be aboard on this forum
Thanks in advance,
Frank in Atlanta area
frank43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Sideways
Gone Wild

Default Re: New Owner, 94 Medalist, Need Advice

Welcome to the club, I have a 94 Medalist as well.
99.9% of the advice you will get on here is to upgrade to 48v. (Great Advice)
Then based on what you are going to use your cart for, a new controller, 2 or 4 gauge cables (including cables that go to the motor) a new solenoid and a heavy duty F&R switch (forward & reverse).
I listened to the advice given and glad that I did!
Visit then contact Scottyb (a sponsor of the site) at www.cartsunlimited.net

If the cart has been sitting awhile the brakes might need a simple adjustment or cleaning, pull the wheels and drums for a visual inspection.
Worst case scenario would be new brake shoes and drums.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
frank43
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sideways.

How hard is it to upgrade to 48V? I have 6 new batteries, where would I fit two more?
Sounds like a lot to do, are these all bolt on type upgrades? What type of cost would I be looking at?
Is it worth fixing what I have in place now? If so, where is the best place to start?
Thanks!
Frank
Old 07-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Hello Frank. "modest" and "slow" are relative terms. How steep/long are the hills? How slow are you really going?

I don't recommend jumping into a 48V conversion unless you really need to upgrade. For example, when it's time to replace the controller or batteries. Never hurts to upgrade cables.

I know the batteries are new. Are you sure they are charging correctly?

Get a voltage meter and check pack voltage. Find out how slow you are actually going on those hills. Hope this helps.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Sideways
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank43 View Post
Thanks Sideways.

How hard is it to upgrade to 48V? I have 6 new batteries, where would I fit two more?
Sounds like a lot to do, are these all bolt on type upgrades? What type of cost would I be looking at?
Is it worth fixing what I have in place now? If so, where is the best place to start?
Thanks!
Frank
you can add 2 more 6v batteries in the back (if your not using the cart to golf) or you can sell the 6v batteries you have then purchase 6 8v batteries. (theywill fit where the 6v are) You would also need to purchase a 48v charger.
These upgrades are bolt on that you can do as long as you have some mechanical skills (if I can do it anyone can).
Get with Scottyb and tell him how you plan on using the cart, he will make recommendations.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Sero
Not Yet Wild

Be sure to check all your cable connections to be sure they are clean of corrosion and rust. Battery to battery cable, battery pack to solenoid, solenoid to controller, controller to motor. You can lose a lot of power through bad connections.
Sero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
frank43
Not Yet Wild

Great advice all. Thank you!

I will start with inspection and cleaning of all connections (in addition to checking brake drums and shoes.

As per how fast I can go on hills, it seems to be about 6-7 MPH give or take based on my gps app.

Hills are a very small incline, by no means 'steep'. More like flat roads that slowly go to an incline. Steeper hills drop MPH by 1-2 MPH, but cart seems to make it up them, albeit slooowwww……
Old 07-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Did you check the pack voltage?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #9
frank43
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Did you check the pack voltage?
Yes, my meter reads after a full charge around 38-39
I think that is where it is supposed to be.
Frank
Old 07-07-2018, 05:52 AM   #10
Sideways
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank43 View Post
Yes, my meter reads after a full charge around 38-39
I think that is where it is supposed to be.
Frank

It is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (42.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO