lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
supersoaker
Not Yet Wild

Default charger help

I got a 2011 48v precedent that I just put 6 new trojans in . This maybe normal but not sure , charger cycles when first hookup like normal as charging the batterys start to bubble and smell . tested v when charging and it's 4amp charge and 63.2v... is this to much . no charger pack is 50.8 .
from my reading around total when charger cuts off is 58.3 .

I just don't want to hurt these new batterys Thanks
supersoaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: charger help

That is completely normal and was probably close to cutting off. It is imperative you let them run a complete charge, which could take up to or more than 16 hours. That is a Powerdrive Charger and is working in conjunction with your OBC.

Read this thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html and particularly the .pdf on post #4
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds normal to me. My Powerdrive charger will cycle off at around 62.5 volts. After a 12 hour rest the pack voltage will drop down to 51.8- 52v.
The boiling sounds bad but it's healthy for the batteries.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
supersoaker
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a ton guys that makes me fell a lot better . it's been on charge for about 9hrs and the bubbling almost stopped and smell is a lot better . there at 55.7v now I did hear the charger cycle 1 time when I was in the shop .. again THANKS
Old 07-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
supersoaker
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
That is completely normal and was probably close to cutting off. It is imperative you let them run a complete charge, which could take up to or more than 16 hours. That is a Powerdrive Charger and is working in conjunction with your OBC.

Read this thread http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html and particularly the .pdf on post #4
I missed that link on #4 when I was looking around. Thanks... now I know about breaking them in .
Old 07-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoaker View Post
I missed that link on #4 when I was looking around. Thanks... now I know about breaking them in .
It is the Gospel.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoaker View Post
Thanks a ton guys that makes me fell a lot better . it's been on charge for about 9hrs and the bubbling almost stopped and smell is a lot better . there at 55.7v now I did hear the charger cycle 1 time when I was in the shop .. again THANKS
The boiling popping sounds and smell can be unnerving if your not expecting it. one key is to feel the batteries for HEAT if nothing more than slightly warm to the touch your golden. But when the smell or heat is intense then its time to worry and investigate....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car