lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2018, 12:48 AM   #21
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Any experience with new EZ GO lithium carts?

No grease fittings to be found on any Rxv made.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #22
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Either way, I doubt highly we will see any lithium stuff here in my lifetime (thank goodness) because I bet replacement battery packs are super expensive (and I have come across junked hybrids in junkyards just because replacement batteries cost too much and they just bought a new Chevy) and electric cars are nonexistent around here (well, I did see one Tesla but it had a California plate)

People raise enough heck regarding the cost of new lead-acid batteries on an RXV and I bet lithium cells cost twice or three times that if not more. That and we simply lack the proper diagnostic equipment to work on them.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #23
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
No grease fittings to be found on any Rxv made.

CG: I'm pretty sure my 2012.5 has zerks on the stock spindles. BTW, I PM'ed you about the harness connector, it's a go!
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #24
TDOG
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Maybe Klubber can jump in. His club has had a fleet of Lithium's since Feb 2017. Maybe he can let us know of any problems. I don't know whether it is change for changes sake, but I understand E-Z-GO has gone to 72 volts with AC motors on their Shuttles.
TDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #25
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Most of EZ's decisions lately seem like change for change's sake. the Powerwise QE, TEAM clutches, 13 HP engine that's a pain to service, and risky lithium batteries.

Meanwhile Club Car is doing the same thing they have been doing since the 1990s barring updates to IQ but otherwise the same old.

I just don't understand why EZ has to change from what worked fine? Nothing wrong with the Robin twin, nothing wrong with the PowerWise ferro-resonant charger, nothing wrong with the TXT PDS....
Old 07-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #26
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Most of EZ's decisions lately seem like change for change's sake. the Powerwise QE, TEAM clutches, 13 HP engine that's a pain to service, and risky lithium batteries.

Meanwhile Club Car is doing the same thing they have been doing since the 1990s barring updates to IQ but otherwise the same old.

I just don't understand why EZ has to change from what worked fine? Nothing wrong with the Robin twin, nothing wrong with the PowerWise ferro-resonant charger, nothing wrong with the TXT PDS....
LOL OBC! You will get the update eventually. Your area seems about 7 years behind schedule. QE charger was a terrible "cost cutting" measure, and even delta-q has tried to distance itself from that monster it contracted to ezgo. It was a "bean counter" spec charger from Ezgo to delta-q, and they took the bait, twice, the SC-48 is just the same 'ole pig with new lipstick. I'm hearing the same about the Clubcar ERIC charger. Yamaha has the same thing with it's Moric charger (doesn't say Moric on the outside, and hasn't been as bad as QE, but hasn't been "a real good charger" either). I don't see any of the Chinese cart counterparts as any genuine competition to the "big 3", but they are sure "trimming up" their bottom line as if they are being bitten hard by some competition. I say make your product stand alone above the competitors! As people "cheap up", the lineup will be the shining star when the "cheapo" option let you down. One of our local municipal courses got a fleet of "Fairplay" (like Star) carts because the Yamaha bid missed by a few dollars per cart. They were,as expected, junk. They are now left with a fleet of carts with poor parts & service, bad deal for them.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #27
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I've done several searches using the phrase "Lifepo4 golf cart battery explosions" and have yet to come across one article concerning Lifepo4 batteries that have exploded or caught fire.

I did come across a poorly written article at http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/ar...for-golf-cars/ (Golf Course Industry) which has bad and non-comparable "facts" about the two battery types (Lifepo4 vs Lead Acid)......but NADA about any Lifepo4 explosions.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:07 PM   #28
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

No need to be afraid of fire with the Nissan Leaf module. See the link to a test Nick did at EV Battery Center a couple years ago. Turn volume down, kind of annoying and not needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz37WycW-7E

They can swell up a lot, if overcharged. Understatement. Here is a pic of one that had a failure of the BMS to stop the overcharging of cells. Still read about 3.75V per cell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180224_103556276.jpg (716.1 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #29
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

No need to be afraid of fire with the Nissan Leaf module. See the link to a test Nick did at EV Battery Center a couple years ago. Turn volume down, kind of annoying and not needed.

Nick's Quote: "This is a used battery from a Nissan Leaf 3.8V 33Ah, tested for how likely to catch fire when is destroyed or in flames. We had no success making it burn. The same battery after the burn test was charged/discharged twice at 1/3C - 10A - it has 30Ah capacity remaining. Before the test this cell was under salty water for 2 hours - you can see the contact are destroyed."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz37WycW-7E

They can swell up a lot, if overcharged. Understatement. Here is a pic of one that had a failure of the BMS to stop the overcharging of cells. Still read about 3.75V per cell.

Had a database error when aditing it. Double post.

Last edited by PingEye3; 07-28-2018 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Add Note
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #30
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Actually our area is like 10-15 years maximum behind schedule. Newest Club Car DS electric is 2011, newest Precedent is 2009, newest TXT is 2015 and newest RXV is 2009 (average, we are starting to see occasional Curtis variants here and there). Most of the repairs that roll in are very abused cars from the 70s to 90s most of the time, like EZ Marathons, Two Yamaha G1s and a Nordco Markateer already this year

We just started getting the SC-48s. Yamaha Drives use some flat looking charger branded Yamaha that has four-five LEDs (conveniently, the manual doesn't tell you what Error 1 and Error 2 mean) but so far we only took in two bad ones (didn't do jack when plugged in, suspected surge or hit by lightning)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO