lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #21
sicrx69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Faulty speed controller ???

Great information, Thank you all and Ray...

Removed the Pot again and will try it. It did have some sharpy number written on side, maybe it was replaced and never adjusted. Will give this a shot and let you know.
Thanks again.
John
sicrx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #22
sicrx69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystar57 View Post
Inspect the arm where it mounts on the shaft. Not sure if it is splined or not.
It could have wore out or slipped.

To set it loosen the arm clamp nut and take off arm.
Insure spring hook is in place on the bar and set long part in it's seating area on the stop.
Rotate clockwise to load spring and push arm down onto the shaft.
Now if it looks good and pulls the arm to the stop at the switch then adjust the shaft zero set.
There does not seem to be anything for the spring to rest against to cause tension. Found a picture online, not sure if they all look the same but mine appears to be broke or missing the part that hooks on the arm. Is this something that, I will need before diagnosing the ultimate problem. I can see it on the picture you provided too, now that I look closer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180729_124326.jpg (110.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180729_124851.jpg (149.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg example pot.jpg (29.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by sicrx69; 07-29-2018 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 07-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #23
sicrx69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So, I figured there wasn't anyway to get a spring, so I just took a pair of needle nose and vice grips and bent the broken spot into a U shape. Adjusted it to hook around the arm and seems to be putting tension on the arm now. Now for the next part....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180729_130626.jpg (103.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180729_130631.jpg (99.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #24
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicrx69 View Post
There does not seem to be anything for the spring to rest against to cause tension. Found a picture online, not sure if they all look the same but mine appears to be broke or missing the part that hooks on the arm. Is this something that, I will need before diagnosing the ultimate problem. I can see it on the picture you provided too, now that I look closer.
From your video this box is not making good contact throughout the range.
On the way up it has an intermittent spot and on the way down it drops out completely near the low end.

You can open it up and see if you can clean the wire wound coil and wiper and lubricate with a little electrical grease.

Now you need a spring... Not sure where to get that...
You may have to just get a new unit from one of the site sponsors.

The spring assists in creating some pedal up force to return to the stop.
I would think there is an additional pedal return spring also to do most of the work.

These work together to reduce slop in the throttle linkage to try to create a smooth throttle.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #25
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
So, I figured there wasn't anyway to get a spring, so I just took a pair of needle nose and vice grips and bent the broken spot into a U shape. Adjusted it to hook around the arm and seems to be putting tension on the arm now. Now for the next part....
That may work as long as it holds tension on the arm.
You may have some excess tension due to less coils but it just might work.

Try to cleanup the inside and lubricate.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #26
sicrx69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, Took your advice and reluctantly took it apart. Was surprised how simple it was on the inside. It did also look pretty clean. I noticed the resister at the top of the picture and remembered from my basic electronics class in high school (way too long ago) about the colored bands. I looked up the bands and according to the colors, it gave me 472 and 10 % (?) Yellow violet red gold...
Using the DVM touch each end of the resister gave me 4.68...So sounds close but I digress.

I put it all back together, got the spring attached (rigged) and seems to be engaging the micro switch now. I did another video of the resistance, it looks close but does sometimes seem to be erratic at times. I marked the end of travel (the lines with pencil on the PET) and at the end of travel it seems to get close or at 5. Its reads 7.02 max by hand but the throttle linkage will not allow it to reach that high.

Going to reinstall and double check it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cWe5zfQx8I

Thank you for taking the time to respond and lend a hand.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180729_142655.jpg (160.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180729_142704.jpg (120.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180729_143403.jpg (110.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180729_152251.jpg (141.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok, Took your advice and reluctantly took it apart. Was surprised how simple it was on the inside. It did also look pretty clean. I noticed the resister at the top of the picture and remembered from my basic electronics class in high school (way too long ago) about the colored bands. I looked up the bands and according to the colors, it gave me 472 and 10 % (?) Yellow violet red gold...
Using the DVM touch each end of the resister gave me 4.68...So sounds close but I digress.

I put it all back together, got the spring attached (rigged) and seems to be engaging the micro switch now. I did another video of the resistance, it looks close but does sometimes seem to be erratic at times. I marked the end of travel (the lines with pencil on the PET) and at the end of travel it seems to get close or at 5. Its reads 7.02 max by hand but the throttle linkage will not allow it to reach that high.

Going to reinstall and double check it.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and lend a hand.
John
The fixed resistor is 4700Ω +/-5%.
First digit - Yellow = 4
Second digit - Violet = 7
Multiplier - Red = x100
Tolerance - Gold = 5%

When the F/R lever is put in the Reverse position, MS-4 put the fixed 4.7KΩ resistor with the 5KΩ pot so you end up with a range of about 0Ω to 2.5KΩ so the controller will only open up to about half speed when cart is in reverse.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #28
sicrx69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You guys are way too smart for me. Got it back in and didn't really help the problem but I definitely learned a lot.

I checked battery voltage after sitting all night off charger and still reads 36 volts. When I check voltage with throttle at maxed and wheels off the ground the voltage goes down to 29-31ish. That sounds low to me?

I am going to switch out the batteries with batteries i know run my other cart and see what happens. Its never fun switching out 12 40lb weights but I gotta do what I gotta do...

Thank you all for your help
John
Old 07-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #29
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Sorry, which wires do you mean?
I was referring to the corroded battery interconnect wires. BTW how old are your batteries. They may need replacing also.
WalterM6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:47 AM   #30
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I did another video of the resistance, it looks close but does sometimes seem to be erratic at times.

John
Yes, it is still intermittent.
May not be the reason you are not reaching pack voltage but it will give some issues.
If you can solder, order a new pot from Mouser and replace it.
Could not read the numbers in the pic.
It would be a linear taper pot not and audio taper one.

As Walter said start looking at cables and batteries.
Any one bad crimp or corrosion condition can cause a voltage loss.
Bad cells in any battery will cause an issue.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO