lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #21
swm63
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery conversion from lithium to lead acid

Poor Hilltop. Started this thread and couldn't get a word in edgewise...

Talk about a hijack.
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #22
jethaulin
never finished

Club Car

to give any advise i would like to see a photo of the battery tray area. cant give advise without knowing how much was modified and to that point when the lithium battery was taken out was the the bms and charger also removed. could be as easy as putting in 6 batterys and all the cables needed to hook them up. good luck
jethaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #23
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
They're only 'safe' because of the BMS and charging systems designed for them. If they were safe at all, none of that would be needed. NiMHs, and FLA never needed that mess.

Even hoverboards only got 'safe' because they redesigned the charger algorithms, OS, and designed a kind of militarized shield for the battery pack. Li-Ion is a bomb waiting to go off--volatile and dramatic when it goes in flames. Even RC guys can attest to that.
My daily driver EV has a NiMH pack and it has a BMS to maintain balance on the pack. I have a 1994 TMC motor coach that has a 24V electrical system, and it has a BMS to maintain balance on the two 12V lead acid batteries in series...

All series battery strings can benefit from a BMS, no matter what chemistry batteries are used.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #24
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swm63 View Post
Poor Hilltop. Started this thread and couldn't get a word in edgewise...

Talk about a hijack.
I guess it doesn't really matter since the OP hasn't logged back in since his question.... but the instigator did start up a good back and forth though
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #25
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

As i stated multiple times he wanted to know how to convert to lead acid, but all everyone did was attempt to convince him that he should stick with lithium. I´m sure he is as concerned with safety as I am and i would want to know how to convert it to lead acid as well, as that is what i am comfortable with and used to. Sadly, all it did was ignite a debate.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #26
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I feel the same way about unsafe lithium chemistries. So I don't use them. It's as simple as that! There are plenty of safe options available now. And the purpose of a BMS for these safe chemistry cells is not to prevent an explosion or fire, it is to extend the life of the cells so you spend less money in the long run.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #27
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Bob you are spot on about the BMS
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #28
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

But Lithiums are quite volatile when unbalanced. a BMS is all but a requirement because if just one cell is a teeny bit lower than the rest it can cause a dangerous chain reaction and fire, just like the Dell laptop batteries did.

There is a video on YouTube by a guy called TechRax that shows him testing a Galaxy S5 and in the end he hammers it until it dies, takes some effort, but he ends up knocking the battery cover off, then smacking the battery which puffs, gasses and literally shoots off the table like an escapee. Its quite hilarious and scary all at once. I like his ending line, Hey michael! What? Get some Febreeze or something!

Then, i am reminded of the carts that come in after being rolled over, batteries turned upside down, busted open, etc. and wonder how easy it would be for the rednecks here to make a similar but more dangerous event happen with a golf car.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:45 PM   #29
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nick did you watch the video PE3 posted? Not ALL lithium cells are the volatile chemistry. Or do you only care about the dangerous ones and refuse to believe anything else exists? Seems like you just want to be the lithium troll. Fine by me, you have no clue what you missing. Go back to a Nokia phone and T3 texting while the rest of us evolve with bigger and better things.
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #30
swm63
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post
Nick did you watch the video PE3 posted? Not ALL lithium cells are the volatile chemistry. Or do you only care about the dangerous ones and refuse to believe anything else exists? Seems like you just want to be the lithium troll. Fine by me, you have no clue what you missing. Go back to a Nokia phone and T3 texting while the rest of us evolve with bigger and better things.
Well said E36, well said.

swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO