lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
not-so-ezgo
Not Yet Wild

Smile 22" on series 36v Medalist TXT - Anyone? All thoughts welcome

I have a 36v Series Medalist, and before you all say "Go 48v" please read all of post.

The solenoid, controller, F/R and all brand new. Also 4G new weld cables. I have stock tires. My 6-6v batteries were new in April. On flat ground I drive 14-15 mph on gps all day. Steep hills(there is only 1 in the park) it does 7-8. the rest of the hills are only a couple degrees and it does 10-11, with 4 people and dogs on it.

This is ALMOST perfect. I just want to add 22" Timberwolf tires and a lift... And I know this would change the dynamics of driving the cart. Would going with a mot-b1 be necessary to maintain similar speeds. Or will the seies motor just keep things where they are... I am hoping for real world experiences and the technical answers.

My stock EZGO controller is 350a.

So I will say it.. I should have gone to 48v in April... but I didn't and can't justify it now. Advise please?

Last edited by not-so-ezgo; 08-16-2018 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Forgot a couple names
not-so-ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 22" on series 36v Medalist TXT - Anyone? All thoughts welcome

You are kind of stuck....

Increasing the tire size from stock 18 to 22" will result in a SUBSTANTIAL reduction in torque (acceleration& hill performance)

JohnnieB has posted exact percentages many time in other posts (search is your friend)

I did the 36 to 48 and Scottyb upgrades (stock motor) and was very happy with everything EXCEPT hill performance with my 23"s.

I did finally go with a "torgue" motor upgrade, and was amazed at the overall performance increase.

Our carts are a "series drive", in short, that means that EVERYTHING from the batteries to the motor is basically a "pipe"....any restriction anywhere along the pipe will cause performance to suffer.

The pipe theory is what causes most of the problems with upgrades and performance. You really need a plan, how you want to use it, and how you are going to get there.....

Hope this helps !
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:10 PM   #3
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you need traction tires, there are some [Kenda comes to mind], made that are stock size and will GREATLY help with grip in mud or sand [or snow if you get it] and you won't loose your performance. Crawling over rocks, fallen wood, small ditches, or really deep snow or mud is the only time 22's will really shine over 18's.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
not-so-ezgo
Not Yet Wild

It is basically flat and paved...and as a former jeeper... I hate to say this is for looks. But it is the truth.

Will a torque motor cover the increased tire size, or can I use the d&d speed and torque?
I am willing to swap the motor if needed...

I was also told by a place to just add 1 6v battery and use my charger(36v). And it would be close enough... but that doesn't feel right.
not-so-ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:27 AM   #5
Sideways
Gone Wild

I just put 20in tires on my 94 Medalist (no lift) and did not suffer any noticeable decrease in torque as I am constantly in the hills on our golf course.
While I did see an increase in speed I have had clearance issues due to not having a lift and am working on correcting.
I must also add that I upgraded to 48v incl 2ga cables however I kept the stock motor.
Good luck with your upgrades and keep us posted on your progress.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO