lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
bald347
Not Yet Wild

Default Do I need new Batteries/ Voltage question

I'm having a problem with my 36 volt 8 year old EZGO cart moving about 30 feet when you press the pedal and then stopping. Then I can get it to go again. It just comes and goes. My batteries are the Battery Source brand and are 4.5 years old. I tested the voltage and had a voltage of 37.2 volts and this was before a charge with two green bars of my battery life indicator not lit. So it was not fully charged. Anyway I took it to a golf cart shop to a guy I know. The result was that it needed a solenoid and new batteries. The total was around $1100.00. When I asked the question if it was possible to try to get through another year I was told with the low voltage I could risk burning up the motor.
What do y'all think about this? I almost feel like I should have gotten a big tube of KY jelly with this. Thanks for any replies.
bald347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Do I need new Batteries/ Voltage question

Under voltage can cause higher current flow through the system and will generate more heat in the motor.

I would guess 6 new 6V large AH batteries could run $700.
Solenoid say $75
So $325 labor cost.
Sounds a little high but I am not in the business.
Did they wash it?
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Have you checked the specific gravity of your battery cells?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
bald347
Not Yet Wild

I don't even know what specific gravity means.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
FF Titus
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald347 View Post
I don't even know what specific gravity means.
https://deepcyclebatterystore.com/us...ry-hydrometer/
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

FFTitus has a good reference to help understand specific gravity. Also, you can go to Trojan https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-s...y-maintenance/ and scroll down to "testing".

It says this under testing:

If any specific gravity reading still registers lower than the factory specification of 1.277+/- 0.007 then one or more of the following conditions may exist:

The battery is old and approaching the end of its life.
The battery was left in a state of discharge too long.
Electrolyte was lost due to spillage or overflow.
A weak or bad cell is developing.
Battery was watered excessively previous to testing.

So if your charger say's your batteries are fully charged, but the SG test shows the reading below the 1.277, then it's likely your batts need replaced.

It could also be a bad cell, (that's why you check the SG in each cell) or even a bad charger.

You could ask your "guy" if he did a SG test on the batteries. And if he perhaps charged your batteries with one of his chargers (that he knows is good)?

You can pick up the Hydrometer at any local auto parts store.....on the high side $20. Buy one anyway. For the long haul.....you need this tool to help keep your batteries in good shape. I would also suggest you buy a Multi-meter. You don't need the $300 meter.....I picked up one (new) for $15 that does everything I need it to do. Multi-meters really help if you have an issue that needs diagnosed.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #7
bald347
Not Yet Wild

I have one of these testers and did not know what it was called. All I know is they said they tested the batteries under a load and recommended they be replaced. I know they were getting weaker and would drain faster. But those six cost about 75 each and lasted 4.5 years and were still working bought from battery source. The new batteries are 135 each. I sure hope they last 8 years. Yea I know wishful thinking. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My 8 Trojan t-105's are stamp dated 2012. I bot 'em new. So, doing the math these batteries are now 6 years old. I've hawked the maintenance of these......check water levels.....cleaned terminals....checked the SG. I'm now looking to replace 'em....but I could squeeze one more hunting season out of 'em....and may do that.

FWIW
Old 08-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
peachhead
Not Yet Wild

For 135 each I hope the new ones are Trojan or Crown.

My last set of Duracell's from Sams lasted 5 years and my neighbors did also. I just bought another set when they were on sale for $75 each ($20 off). The two places I checked wanted about 125 to 130 each for Trojans, a little over 100 for Crowns. Both of those you can probably get 7-8 years out of if you maintain them.

Also remember that labor charge may include some sort of diagnostic fee.
peachhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO