lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
Joatmony2k
Getting Wild

Default Bad motor and no controller

Well I though I was getting a good deal on a ezgo PDS regen cart with no controller. Well it turns out the motor is also bad. I did not check it out because it was raining pretty good when I pick it up.

Question I know I can replace the controller and motor with a regen but would it be better to go with w series motor and make all the other changes to make it work?

Or just put a good controller and regen motor in it?
Joatmony2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad motor and no controller

There's a LOT more to converting to series than just motor and controller. You need a FNR switch or reversing contactor, plus many of the wires and cables go to the wrong places. Go to the stickies and download the wiring diagrams, and see where the components are located, for an idea.

Why do you think the motor's bad? Why do you want to go to series? Do you understand the difference between the two? Do you know if you want to go with 48 volts? How many amps will you need? On road, off road, street legal, hilly, flat, sandy, gravel, rear seat, top speed vs. torque, etc.

This is a three day weekend, so you may not get many replies, but this will help get you started. By giving us answers to the above, folks here will better guide you.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
transfixer
Getting Wild
Club Car

I've wondered the same thing, but it sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth, I've recently picked up a 97 dcs cart that may have a bad controller, haven't gotten around to checking it yet, I know I need new batteries,

Seems to me the regen carts are more trouble than they are worth? You're not supposed to use them to creep around slow , as in using them offroad, series carts are supposed to be better for modifying , and generally have better torque. I guess the only advantage to regen carts is controlling speed going downhill ?
transfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Joatmony2k
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
There's a LOT more to converting to series than just motor and controller. You need a FNR switch or reversing contactor, plus many of the wires and cables go to the wrong places. Go to the stickies and download the wiring diagrams, and see where the components are located, for an idea.

Why do you think the motor's bad? Why do you want to go to series? Do you understand the difference between the two? Do you know if you want to go with 48 volts? How many amps will you need? On road, off road, street legal, hilly, flat, sandy, gravel, rear seat, top speed vs. torque, etc.

This is a three day weekend, so you may not get many replies, but this will help get you started. By giving us answers to the above, folks here will better guide you.
Thanks Yurtle for your reply

I know there is a lot of stuff need to be change out and I have heard that series are better for all around.

As of now I was going to keep it with 36 volt because the battery are good in it about 1 year old. As for as amps because I need to buy one I was going to go with a 400/450 depends on what controller I use. And may install a rear seat.

I bought the car to fix and sell with that said I was going to make it street legal because we have a lot of people looking to buy right now.
So I would say flat street driving.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
Joatmony2k
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by transfixer View Post
I've wondered the same thing, but it sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth, I've recently picked up a 97 dcs cart that may have a bad controller, haven't gotten around to checking it yet, I know I need new batteries,

Seems to me the regen carts are more trouble than they are worth? You're not supposed to use them to creep around slow , as in using them offroad, series carts are supposed to be better for modifying , and generally have better torque. I guess the only advantage to regen carts is controlling speed going downhill ?
Thanks Transfixer for your reply

I did buy it to sell but because I did not check the motor and have to buy one and hear everyone like the series better I though I would go down that route. I know it would cost more to convert it and that would be less money to be made after I finish it.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatmony2k View Post
Thanks Transfixer for your reply

I did buy it to sell but because I did not check the motor and have to buy one and hear everyone like the series better I though I would go down that route. I know it would cost more to convert it and that would be less money to be made after I finish it.

I wouldn’t say that series carts are better. Not at all. They serve a different purpose. Sepex carts produce more speed, while series generally more torque, but either can be customized to fit the owners needs.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

GENERALLY series systems are slower and produce more torque. Increasing voltage increases speed, as does bigger tires and taller gears.

GENERALLY sepex systems produce less torque and can be made faster easier. Increasing amperage increases torque. Also, sepex has regen braking which I really like in my cart.

Those are GROSS generalities. Many modified series carts are speed monsters. Many modified sepex carts are torque beasts.

All in all, it depends on what you want to do with the cart. You want to sell it? Put a stock-type system back in it, add a pretty rims and radio and make some $$$.

Also, if the motor isn't that bad you can take it to any alternator/starter shop and see if they can get it going for a hundred or hundred and a half.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
Joatmony2k
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
GENERALLY series systems are slower and produce more torque. Increasing voltage increases speed, as does bigger tires and taller gears.

GENERALLY sepex systems produce less torque and can be made faster easier. Increasing amperage increases torque. Also, sepex has regen braking which I really like in my cart.

Those are GROSS generalities. Many modified series carts are speed monsters. Many modified sepex carts are torque beasts.

All in all, it depends on what you want to do with the cart. You want to sell it? Put a stock-type system back in it, add a pretty rims and radio and make some $$$.

Also, if the motor isn't that bad you can take it to any alternator/starter shop and see if they can get it going for a hundred or hundred and a half.

Thanks Bronson’s
I have taking the motor apart and found the brush plate and holder all burn up and a few of them was broken from the plate. The rest of the motor has clean up pretty good. I just don’t know if I would replace the bad part if it would all work.

The part where the brushes rides on was a little ruff but I did run some fine sand paper on it and it looks good now. I know that is not the proper way to do it but I was trying to see if it would clean up.

I think it will cost about 100 to get the brushes and the plate that holds the brushes. I will also call a few shops around my house and see if they have a use motor they will sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatmony2k View Post
Thanks Bronson’s
I have taking the motor apart and found the brush plate and holder all burn up and a few of them was broken from the plate. The rest of the motor has clean up pretty good. I just don’t know if I would replace the bad part if it would all work.

" it should be ok but insure F1 F2 is not shorted to the case."

The part where the brushes rides on was a little ruff but I did run some fine sand paper on it and it looks good now. I know that is not the proper way to do it but I was trying to see if it would clean up.

"this is ok, if it were real bad a shop can true it. Just insure to clean the groves out well with a electrical contact cleaner and toothbrush."

I think it will cost about 100 to get the brushes and the plate that holds the brushes. I will also call a few shops around my house and see if they have a use motor they will sell.

"yep, should get the motor ready to try!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO