lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Voltage reducer question

I recently installed a 25 amp voltage reducer from Carts Unlimited. It seems to work great but I have a question. There is a "5th" wire that is supposed to be wired to the ignition switch to turn the unit on an off. I have it connected to a constant 36 volt power source to retain my radio memory. I asked ScottyB if the reducer draws power even if it isn't in use and he says it does.
My question is I wondered just how much it draws? Is it enough to be concerned? My usual pattern of use is to use the cart and put it right back on the charger. Anyone have any experience on this?
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage reducer question

OK, just got a reply from ScottyB and he says the reducer should not be left on all the time. Question answered!!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

In case anybody is wondering why - leaving the reducer on constantly will greatly reduce the reducers useful life as well as drain the batteries, thus reducing their life.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As a side note there are voltage reducers (like ScottyB 30 amps version) that have a constant low amp 12v output for radios.

You would wire the radio's red wire (switched power) to the 12v switched output and the radio's yellow wire (constant power) to the reducer's constant power output.

That will allow you to turn the radio on/off with the key switch while preserving all settings.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
As a side note there are voltage reducers (like ScottyB 30 amps version) that have a constant low amp 12v output for radios.

You would wire the radio's red wire (switched power) to the 12v switched output and the radio's yellow wire (constant power) to the reducer's constant power output.

That will allow you to turn the radio on/off with the key switch while preserving all settings.
I saw that model but the 25 amp size was better for my needs. I will just rewire and for what little draw there is from the radio I will wire it to 2 of the batteries. Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:42 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Never tried it, but a battery pack to get 12 volts can probably be wired to keep memory. I thought about these:

https://www.zoro.com/energizer-energ...hoCsboQAvD_BwE

3 bucks, how can you lose?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:42 AM   #7
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I thought about something like this but I think what little draw will be on 2 of the batteries I will just hook it up that way.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:08 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegarex View Post
I thought about something like this but I think what little draw will be on 2 of the batteries I will just hook it up that way.
Unfortunately radios don't have a dedicated "memory wire" so You will power the entire radio by those 2 batteries (and they could only be the first 2 batteries) if You connect the "yellow" constant power wire directly to the battery post.

Wiring high current diodes or a relay to switch/isolate the power from converter to battery when the radio is off is more complicated than just using the proper converter or getting a radio with "non-volatile" memory for settings.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:22 AM   #9
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Unfortunately radios don't have a dedicated "memory wire" so You will power the entire radio by those 2 batteries (and they could only be the first 2 batteries) if You connect the "yellow" constant power wire directly to the battery post.

Wiring high current diodes or a relay to switch/isolate the power from converter to battery when the radio is off is more complicated than just using the proper converter or getting a radio with "non-volatile" memory for settings.
Thanks for the info. Actually I don't use the radio (am/fm) part and the clock only shows when the radio is off. I may just leave it. For some reason the memory is good on the SD card and bass/treble settings.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:

My radio in my sig DOES have a dedicated memory wire, as did every radio I've had since the 70s.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO