lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #11
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Upgrade

Then again it might be the batteries. How old are they?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2018, 03:15 AM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I wouldn't buy much into the 500a thing. The biggest controller Ezgo ever put in that form was a 400a, and it wasn't a prize either (if you ordered their HD controller). Think of it this way, a "big amp" controller in a small box is like a big block engine with a small radiator. Overheating is inevitable, and that's just what those did. This is why the "stupid big" rated rebuilds are a joke to me in those old Curtis controllers. Seen it before.... The 400a model from the factory had heat problems, if that one were rated for 500a, it's just a joke for "real world" HD use. Sorry if I'm raining on a parade someone set forth, but I been at this too long.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:05 AM   #13
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I see you said the pack is 36v and brand new, but I don't see what voltage it is. Check your pack V, it should be over 38v or more several hours after a full charge. Your charger may not be fully charging the pack, that would make for a sluggish ride.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #14
bkoether
Not Yet Wild

cgtech, if I'm understanding correctly you're saying it may be a "400 amp" controller but may have had heat issues due to the poor quality...but that wouldn't explain the poor performance currently unless the controller is damaged in some way and restricting the current more than it should be right? Do controllers go bad in that manner where they still work but not at full capacity? I'm just not that familiar with how they work.

Bronsonj, pack is new and reading 38.8 after a full charge. I believe the charger is functioning as it should.
bkoether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #15
bkoether
Not Yet Wild

I forgot to add photos of the solenoid I took in order to determine if the whole system had been upgraded at one point. Just from googling it doesn't appear to me to be a heavy duty solenoid but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also ignore the wires as I've already changed them with new 4ga since the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0323.jpg (160.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0324.jpg (147.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #16
bkoether
Not Yet Wild

Update question: the only place I’m noticing what I believe to be excessive heat is the positive battery terminal to the solenoid and the solenoid itself was pretty hot after driving it for a little bit. The positeve battery post was extremely hot with slight discoloration to the post/nut. Thoughts on what this means?
Old 10-20-2018, 11:47 PM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Bad cables, and that solenoid is about to leave you stranded. It's just barely adequate for golf use, bad for any type of heavy duty use.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:13 AM   #18
bkoether
Not Yet Wild

Sounds good, must be the solenoid because cables are brand new 4ga (not ones in the pic, got rid of those)...just ordered a heavy duty solenoid from carts unlimited so I’ll throw that on and see what happens. Appreciate the responses and the help.

Tags
ezgo electric motor, high torque, motor upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO