lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
Energizeddiva
Not Yet Wild

Default Buying my first golf cart maybe a Western

Hi, I am new to this forum and I am in the market for my first used golf cart. I saw a good looking cart on Craigs List. It is a 2000 Western. Looks like a mini car and is street legal. I would like an enclosure for our Arizona moonsoons but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone have any ideas?
Energizeddiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: Buying my first golf cart maybe a Western

welcome to the addiction
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I am not very familiar with the Western carts, but I know there are some generic enclosures available on ebay and Amazon.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I have two westerns they are very neat carts. Any enclosure you would use would need to be custom made although I have held up a club car DS enclosure before and they are very close but not perfect.

The only thing with westerns is while they are still making them and some dealers have new ones, they have drastically changed the body styles over the years so you need to be extra careful with light lenses and other unique parts. Fiberglass can usually be fixed if you are good at fiberglass work but, for example, rear tail light lenses on some of the carts would be very hard to find you would need to find a parts cart.

The good thing is they are mounted on ezgo frames so parts mechanical wise are usually easy to find.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Westerns were built on Ezgo chassis.
Western was not particular about which platform they built on, so you can get some real dogs or some pretty zippy carts. You want the zippy cart (sepex drive) for the street. The doggy series drive will have a manual lever to select forward and reverse operation. The Zippy (sepex drive) carts will have a rocker switch F&R selector. The best of the Sepex carts will be 48 volt operation, lesser ones will be 42v or 36v. One key word when looking for the right western is the Elegante model
I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I own a 1995 Western Elegante 4 seater series cart and they can be easily upgraded to be 'zippy'. Mine will do just about 30 mph on the flat and can take 3 adults up a decent incline at 25 mph. This of course depends on what kind of motor is in it - mine is an AMD-Western HD Series rebuilt by Plumquick. I have a Speedhut 0 to 40 mph GPS speedometer built-in, battery pack to 48 volt from 42 volt, had the controller rebuilt by CTS to 700 amps - but 500 amps is all it needed, battery cables upgraded to 2 gauge welding wire, rear tires are 205-60 on 10" rims, new HD solenoid rated at 400 amps / 1000 amps peak. I buy used Westerns and upgrade them as a hobby. All the ones I have done, both 2 seater and 4 seater will do 25 mph and maintain a healthy torque if the motor was the motor I started with, but as ScottyB mentioned, the motor is critical to top-end performance as motor rebuilds are limited by what they start with. Enjoy the ride. A good source of Western info can be found with ScottyB and a few other Cart PhDs on this website. A local source in Palm Springs CA area on Western Golf Carts is Dennis O'Sullivan at JR Thomas' Golf Cars dennis@jrthomasgolfcars.com
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:20 AM   #7
lshap421
Not Yet Wild

Hi Richard,

I have a 2001 Elegante that I am upgrading. I am going to send the motor to Plum Quick. Was going to put an All Trax 500 amp controller in. Going to upgrade to 48 Volt. I have some questions for you!
lshap421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #8
sanchoelegante
Not Yet Wild

Hi there!

New to the thread as well as the golf cart world but i have just recently purchased a Western Elegante. Needs some love but is a cool looking cart.

Hoping someone can help me figure out the year and model by the
vin#: 2000195722.

Thanks in advance!
sanchoelegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #9
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchoelegante View Post
Hi there!

New to the thread as well as the golf cart world but i have just recently purchased a Western Elegante. Needs some love but is a cool looking cart.

Hoping someone can help me figure out the year and model by the
vin#: 2000195722.

Thanks in advance!
Can you post a photo of the cart? First 3 numbers are usually model, next two are month and year but if it is an early cart it doesn't follow that rule. Yours could be a 91 or 01 maybe even an 81 a picture will tell right away.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO