lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #11
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cut the buzzer wires on a late model RXV

I'm sending you a pm.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2019, 01:20 AM   #12
EvilSpirit1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

WOW. I can see if when someone unhooked the reverse buzzer that they grounded out or shorted together the power wires to it causing damage, but it's BS that simply unhooking one scraps a controller. Definite design flaw there.
EvilSpirit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:00 AM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

It's the way the buzzer is integrated with the run/tow switch. The buzzer provides forward bias to a microprocessor pin. When a buzzer wire is cut, it allows the pin to swing negative, damaging the microprocessor. You cannot just buy a replacement microprocessor, as it requires pre-programming prior to installation. I have had some success with reprogramming a controller damaged in this way by disabling the reverse buzzer and bypassing the buzzer function to allow the controller to continue functioning. Since the pin is still damaged, the buzzer will still sound intermittently, so it needs to be plugged to silence it... If a wire is cut again, it will result in permanent failure of the controller. This is why FSIP usually just swapped out the controller for a replacement, as they had plenty in stock. You can buy one from them on eBay for about $500 + shipping.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:01 AM   #14
EvilSpirit1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
It's the way the buzzer is integrated with the run/tow switch. The buzzer provides forward bias to a microprocessor pin. When a buzzer wire is cut, it allows the pin to swing negative, damaging the microprocessor. You cannot just buy a replacement microprocessor, as it requires pre-programming prior to installation. I have had some success with reprogramming a controller damaged in this way by disabling the reverse buzzer and bypassing the buzzer function to allow the controller to continue functioning. Since the pin is still damaged, the buzzer will still sound intermittently, so it needs to be plugged to silence it... If a wire is cut again, it will result in permanent failure of the controller. This is why FSIP usually just swapped out the controller for a replacement, as they had plenty in stock. You can buy one from them on eBay for about $500 + shipping.
Again, WOW Cut a wire, cut a check for $500 . . .

Good explanation - thanks for taking the time to explain.

Sooooooo, if you wanted to omit the buzzer, you would need to use something to complete the circuit in it's place. What happens if you wire the coil side of a correct voltage relay or solenoid in the place of the buzzer?
EvilSpirit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:26 AM   #15
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

With the Curtis controllers they can be turned off with a Curtis handheld programmer that easy.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:06 AM   #16
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSpirit1 View Post
Again, WOW Cut a wire, cut a check for $500 . . .

Good explanation - thanks for taking the time to explain.

Sooooooo, if you wanted to omit the buzzer, you would need to use something to complete the circuit in it's place. What happens if you wire the coil side of a correct voltage relay or solenoid in the place of the buzzer?
Yes, that would work. The pin can accept input up to +48V applied through a resistor or relay coil. That would retain the correct + bias. As Jeff mentioned, the buzzer can be turned off. I like to apply a programming tweak that gives a 1/2 second blast at full or reduced volume, then steps down to a much reduced volume for the remainder of the time the RXV is in reverse. People tend to like that because it reduces the volume while keeping the function there for safety. Once damaged, that option is no longer reliable because the pin functionality is no longer reliable.

Bob
Old 11-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #17
air06
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This place is awesome thanks for all ya'lls help!

I'm looking at them on eBay some with "Freedom mode" unlocked. They either say 14.8 mph or 19.5 mph. What's the OEM setting, and what is "Freedom mode"?

It's an expensive lesson for me and my neighbor, i'm calling it a "stupid tax". At least we learned something.

I've soldered the buzzer wire back together so that connection is good again and taped a foam earplug in the hole to quiet it down. Wish I would have researched cutting the wire before we did it.....

Now we just need to get the new controller ordered and swap it out and all should be good. Fingers crossed...
air06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #18
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Any luck reprogramming/fixing the one I sent you with the same problem? Absolutely no rush, just checking and keeping my fingers crossed.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #19
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
Any luck reprogramming/fixing the one I sent you with the same problem? Absolutely no rush, just checking and keeping my fingers crossed.
I wanted to confirm with Jeff what exactly was to be done. The symptoms and error codes matched a cut buzzer wire incident. I just wanted to confirm that diagnosis before I proceeded with it.

Bob
Old 11-07-2019, 05:45 AM   #20
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
I wanted to confirm with Jeff what exactly was to be done. The symptoms and error codes matched a cut buzzer wire incident. I just wanted to confirm that diagnosis before I proceeded with it.

Bob
Yes, that is correct, buzzer wires were cut and similar if not same symptoms.

There should be a more detailed description of the symptoms on the paper enclosed in the box, if that (and/or other green paper) is missing or you need more information, please let me know.

Thank you for trying to help me with this and again there is absolutely no rush on my end. I just greatly all the help your knowledge and posts have been for me and the whole BGW community.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO