lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #11
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2003 DS rear suspension rides harsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Depending which rear seat kit you install it should add about 150lbs to the back of the cart which might help, but I agree you need to change something about the bump-stops and the shock/spring arrangement.
A regular DS cart doesn't have those bump stops and really doesn't need them. IMO you can remove those or cut them down and get some room between them and the frame and that will help.
Good to know, I'm used to having them on all my cars.

Quote:
Yes, with the HD springs there should be a bit more height in the back, but your roll bar might be enough weight to counter that.
I would try trimming those bump stops, and swapping out the shocks for the longer Monroe shocks before changing the springs.
I've read it is common to get about 1.5" to 2" lift with a 4 leaf pack spring, but I think these springs are bent. Looking at the cart it seems to sits level.
With the shocks disconnected nothing changes.

Quote:
Also try adding a few bags of cat litter or a bag or two of concrete in the back to simulate the extra weight of a rear seat kit and see how it rides with the HD springs.
Adding more weight, like just getting in the cart, pushes it down on the bump stops. Removing the stops, which I'll probably do, would only provide a little travel, but then the back end would sit lower.

Quote:
The D/A springs are good for a standard cart, but most carts don't have a roll bar and that might be a bit too much weight for the D/A springs.
The roll bar doesn't seem like it would add as much weight as a rear seat will.
The front seat & roof are attached to it - it replaced the stock front seat frame or rear roof support.
When I add the rear seat a section of the roll bar brace will be removed and the rear seat frame will be integrated into the roll bar brace.
We're looking for good quality, simple rear seat kit, but there are so many to choose from.
I won't need the rear seat mounts since I'll have to make custom brackets to work it in around the roll bar braces.

Quote:
Whats being held on by the wing nut under there? Those are generally grade 2, and not meant for handling any kind of structural loading, so if it's holding something important that should be replaced with at least a grade 5 bolt.
That is the first thing I saw when I got under it to check out the rear suspension - it's part of a bracket on the frame.
I was going thru the paperwork the previous owner gave me and found a pamphlet about a Frame Brace Kit. It adds a frame brace in front of the leaf spring shackle mount. In the 2nd pic there is a Caution about not installing the kit if the frame is cracked. The kit has aluminum parts. But if the frame is cracked it says to order the steel kit. I don't know what that is all about. Nowhere in the pamphlet does it clearly state what the kit is for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3790.jpg (150.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3792.jpg (136.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3791.jpg (148.7 KB, 0 views)
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #12
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I would love to hear what David has to say about that 'frame brace kit'.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
I've read it is common to get about 1.5" to 2" lift with a 4 leaf pack spring, but I think these springs are bent. Looking at the cart it seems to sits level.
With the shocks disconnected nothing changes.
3/4" is about normal. How much height difference also depends on the cart and what it has on/ in it. A cart with 4 12v batteries will get a bit more lift than one with 6 8v batteries.
A cart with 8 6v batteries might not get much lift at all since it will weigh about 120lbs more than a 6-8v cart.
A gas cart will get more lift from the HD springs because it weighs about 200lbs less than an electric cart.
How many batteries are in your cart? Can you post some pics of the roll bar?

Never heard of that "frame brace kit", but I've made a few of them for my carts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #14
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
.... How many batteries are in your cart? Can you post some pics of the roll bar? ....
48v - 6/8v.
Pics of the roll bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3793.jpg (136.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3794.jpg (147.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #15
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

I started looking at the front end suspension.
I think these are the OEM shocks - Maeco 101870601 H2002K30.
I get no hits on Google searches.
They can easily be extended/compressed with minimal resistance.
Never seen a shock absorber with bumpers on the shaft before.
The bumpers are not split, looks like they were installed at assembly.
With the cart sitting unloaded the shock is compressed to look like the 1st pic.
The shock will only compress about 1/2'" more because of the bumpers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3798.jpg (257.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3799.jpg (127.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #16
Outty800
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I see what you are talking about that the bump stops are not allowing any travel of the rear suspension. This may sound like a dumb question but are the springs mounted to shackles in the back or did the previous owner somehow install them direct to the frame without the shackle?
Outty800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:54 PM   #17
alwhite00
Gone Wild
Club Car

That bump stop is super tall. Is that stock? I haven’t looked at mine in a while.
alwhite00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #18
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outty800 View Post
.... are the springs mounted to shackles in the back or did the previous owner somehow install them direct to the frame without the shackle?
The rear end of the leaf springs have shackles, 5" hole-to-hole.
Are those shackles stock?
Old 04-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #19
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
That bump stop is super tall. Is that stock? I haven’t looked at mine in a while.
I thought those bump stops looked fairly tall, too.
I think they are original to this cart.
With the bumper rings on the front shocks and the tall bump stops in the rear this cart doesn't have very much downward suspension travel.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:17 AM   #20
Outty800
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have no idea what the length of the shackles is supposed to be on your cart. I only know that my cart is earlier than 2000 (not sure of exact year), I dont know if comparing would do any good.

I found an IPB of the rear suspension for a 2000-2005 Club Car DS. There is no bump stop in the IPB. I would try taking it off and see what happens!

Outty800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car