lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2020, 05:40 AM   #21
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 DS rear suspension rides harsh

I'm no expert. but I've never seen shocks with those extra rubber pieces. I don't understand why they're there.
jkenprice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2020, 06:03 AM   #22
DaveTM
Gone Wild

It's most likely your HD springs. I can say this as I just removed two of the leafs on my HD 4 leaf, leaf springs and the ride has improved greatly.

It's not the weight of that roll bar....it doesn't weigh that much.

Unless you say the unit is "bottoming out" (which I highly doubt with those 4 leafs) I'd remove two of the leafs on each side. That's actually a pretty easy job and if you have an electric impact driver or impact drill, it can be done in short order.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:34 AM   #23
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
It's most likely your HD springs. I can say this as I just removed two of the leafs on my HD 4 leaf, leaf springs and the ride has improved greatly.

It's not the weight of that roll bar....it doesn't weigh that much.

Unless you say the unit is "bottoming out" (which I highly doubt with those 4 leafs) I'd remove two of the leafs on each side. That's actually a pretty easy job and if you have an electric impact driver or impact drill, it can be done in short order.

FWIW

Did you remove the two middle ones? I have a 3 leaf pack and was thinking of removing the middle leaf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #24
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It's most likely your HD springs. I can say this as I just removed two of the leafs on my HD 4 leaf, leaf springs and the ride has improved greatly. ....
I'm thinking the rear leaf springs are bent, I'll be taking them off soon to see.
When the shocks are not connected the cart sits fairly level.
I think the ride is stiff because there is minimal suspension travel in the rear.
The fully extended shock will not let the axle move downward.
The tall bump stops will not let the axle move upward.
I think the OEM shocks were reinstalled when the HD springs were put in, but the suspension travel was locked so only the ends of the leaf springs could flex and now they are bent.
Also, the front shocks riding on those rubber bumpers on the shaft can't compress so there is minimal downward movement of the front suspension.
When the cart goes over a speed bump it feels like there is no suspension.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:41 PM   #25
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Ellis View Post
Did you remove the two middle ones? I have a 3 leaf pack and was thinking of removing the middle leaf
No. I removed the two bottom one's. The "shortest" length one and the next one up.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #26
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
I'm thinking the rear leaf springs are bent, I'll be taking them off soon to see.
Bent? That would take a lot to bend a 4-leaf spring.

When the shocks are not connected the cart sits fairly level.How much lower does the cart sit with shocks attached?

I think the ride is stiff because there is minimal suspension travel in the rear.You should be able to measure your shock travel by measuring the "shiny" part of the shock dampening rod.

The fully extended shock will not let the axle move downward.Hmmm....How are you concluding this? Shock's don't hold up any weight like a spring does. All the shock does is "dampen" the vertical movement so that if the suspension is compressed say 3"....the shock prevents the "springback" from being severe.

The tall bump stops will not let the axle move upward.I'm thinking that with a HD 4-leaf spring, the suspension doesn't have a chance to even compress...and if the suspension doesn't compress the shocks don't do their "thing." An overstiff spring is like welding a piece of metal from the axel to the frame. IE: No vertical movement.

I think the OEM shocks were reinstalled when the HD springs were put in, but the suspension travel was locked so only the ends of the leaf springs could flex and now they are bent.You got a pic of these springs where you think they are bent?

Also, the front shocks riding on those rubber bumpers on the shaft can't compress so there is minimal downward movement of the front suspension.
When the cart goes over a speed bump it feels like there is no suspension. Again, you should be able to measure the amount of travel via the shiny part of the shock rod.
My responses in RED above.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #27
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think you should disconnect the shocks and try it out. It looks like those shocks are fully extended and as tight as can be leaving 0 room for travel. I have a 3 leaf pack on mine with shock extenders and it rides fine .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #28
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Bent? That would take a lot to bend a 4-leaf spring.
I didn't word that quite right. I think the top leaf is bent near the ends.

How much lower does the cart sit with shocks attached?
The cart just sits there, level, with or without the shocks attached.
The shocks will bolt up, but they are fully extended.

You should be able to measure your shock travel by measuring the "shiny" part of the shock dampening rod.
I understand that, but with the shock attached it is at full extension and it can't compress because the bump stops are already touching the frame. pack. So there is essentially no shock travel.

You got a pic of these springs where you think they are bent?
With the cart just sitting there the center 1/2 half of the leaf pack is flat and the ends are curved upward a little.

Again, you should be able to measure the amount of travel via the shiny part of the shock rod.
The front shocks can't travel upward because of the bumpers on the shaft, it looks like there could be 1 1/2" of compressing travel, but the bumpers are in the way. The front shocks will extend about 1 1/4".
Old 05-02-2020, 06:17 AM   #29
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Somehow I completely missed your pic of the shocks with the bump pads installed.

That's the issue of no travel. Replace those with a regular shock and you should be fine.

Actually, if your shocks are fully extended when the cart just sits there....that's not a "bad" thing. With a proper leaf spring when you hit a bump, the springs and shocks should compress....and when the spring "pushes back" from hitting the bump, the shock slows the "spring back" (dampens) so the cart doesn't leap frog back up.

Replace your shocks. Or I suppose it's possible to simply cut out those silly bumpers that were installed on them.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #30
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
.... Or I suppose it's possible to simply cut out those silly bumpers that were installed on them. ....
Do regular Club Cars not have the bump stops?
This one is a Pathway.
I think I saw "Club Car" molded on the side of the bump stop.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car