lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
jlipe44
Not Yet Wild

Default 94 Club Car DS Solenoid wiring issue

I recently purchased a Curtis Albright SW180-93 online from D&D Motor systems. When I received it from the etailer, it came with no instructions, but I researched it online and found the attached diagram instructions from Carts Unlimited.

I noticed what I had received seemed to have the diode with the small white stripe positioned closest to the negative terminal. The exact opposite of what the diagram on cart unlimited. I have attached a picture for reference.

I contacted their support, and they told me that it was wired correctly based on the information that I shared above, and to reverse my two positive and negative smaller terminals on the non diode side. This weekend, I attempted to finish up the wiring and test the cart as they had described, and smoke began to come out of what appeared to be the diode.

First question, is (and I think that I know the answer) which is correct. The one that is on Carts Unlimited site, or how they sent it to me? Second question, it is soldered in place. Do I need to break it loose and get another diode?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D & D.jpg (196.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9267d1c41523feb265b758960f1f119d.jpg (61.5 KB, 0 views)
jlipe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 94 Club Car DS Solenoid wiring issue

That diode is backwards. Just unplug it. Where is it soldered?

Also, if that yellow wire is your negative activation wire it is backwards too. (The red and yellow)
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

IF the solenoid is the same as the diagram you supplied, (can't tell from the photo) all of the activation wires are wrong. Better check the high current cables too.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is up to you how You want to wire it, but both are correct.

That Solenoid coil has no polarity, the polarity is established when you place the diode on the terminals.

Either side of the diode can go on top or the bottom terminals.

The important part is that the positive activation wire is on the same side (up or down) as the side of the diode with the stripe.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Is up to you how You want to wire it, but both are correct.

That Solenoid coil has no polarity, the polarity is established when you place the diode on the terminals.

Either side of the diode can go on top or the bottom terminals.

The important part is that the positive activation wire is on the same side (up or down) as the side of the diode with the stripe.
If it is not directional (I assumed it was from the diagram which says it is directional) then would it not be OK the way it is?
Old 08-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If there is a big + on the top than the Contactor is fitted with magnetic blowouts in which case the battery cable (highest voltage potential) goes on that big stud near the +.

The coil terminals as currently wired or if re-wired per the diagram are both correct.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If there is a big + on the top than the Contactor is fitted with magnetic blowouts in which case the battery cable (highest voltage potential) goes on that big stud near the +.

The coil terminals as currently wired or if re-wired per the diagram are both correct.
Understood on the activation part. And yes he needs to check the cables.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
jlipe44
Not Yet Wild

Mooncrater, I assumed in the beginning that it was not directional, and that is why they had the diode reversed. Everything that I have read says that the SW180-93 is directional. Hence my first question to the etailer.

The diode is soldered underneath the red plastic shield on the clips.

What I am thinking that I will do is to break them loose and reverse the diodes with the stripe closest to the top, or positive. Then I will switch the wires so the red positive activation wire is on the top left and the yellow negative wire is on the bottom left position.

My next question is this... since it was smoking, is there any possibility that the diode, solenoid, or any other parts would be bad now?
Old 08-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
jlipe44
Not Yet Wild

I do have the 2 ga wire (red) coming from the battery bank to the + on the top large terminal, and the yellow 2ga on the other side top large terminal that is not marked with the +
Old 08-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipe44 View Post
Mooncrater, I assumed in the beginning that it was not directional, and that is why they had the diode reversed. Everything that I have read says that the SW180-93 is directional. Hence my first question to the etailer.

The diode is soldered underneath the red plastic shield on the clips.

What I am thinking that I will do is to break them loose and reverse the diodes with the stripe closest to the top, or positive. Then I will switch the wires so the red positive activation wire is on the top left and the yellow negative wire is on the bottom left position.

My next question is this... since it was smoking, is there any possibility that the diode, solenoid, or any other parts would be bad now?
i would try it the way it is now and leave it that way if it is soldered. I would think if the diode is blown you would see it. It will not affect operation of the cart but should be replaced if bad.

Tags
curtis albright sw180-93
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car