lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
Clubcarken
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v batteries (8v)

Hey, I recently had my cart leave me stranded. It’s a 48v 2006 club car president.
It has been great for 3 yrs no issues. I had it out, and about 3 miles into the drive my voltage meter fell to 35v, and the cart started slowing and surging.
I got it home, and charged it up. After a full charge, 4 batteries read 8.5vdc, but two of them only read 7.4vdc.
I can now only get about 3 miles before the voltage starts to drop off to 35v or so.

I’m assuming these are bad batteries. I don’t have a load tester. Opinions?
Clubcarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48v batteries (8v)

Are those 2 low batteries connected to 12 volt accessories (lights, stereo, etc)? Try to top off those low batteries with a regular 12 volt charger (on low amps). With 2 batteries starting out low, the rest is pointless - it can'
t help but fail quickly.
Your cart itself is the best "load tester". Top off the charge and use jumpers wires to connect a volt meter to each battery in turn. See what voltage drop you get on full throttle acceleration, preferably uphill.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48v batteries (8v)

You have the best load tester available ... the golf cart. Simply connect a meter to each battery and accelerate hard up hill. The bad ones will drop significantly more than the good ones.
However I think you already know the state of these batteries. If you do have a 16 to 12v reducer and you use the 12v much at all it will draw the 2 batteries powering the accessories down further than the rest of the pack. This imbalance cannot be undone by regular charging and ultimately shortens the life of every battery in the pack as some get over charged and some get under charged.
Do yourself a favor and get a 48 to 12v reducer.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO