lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2021, 10:38 PM   #1
DirtaySteve
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 85 ezgo Marathon fuel/power issue

I am still new to this, but here are my issues.

85 Marathon 2PG, was having major power loss issues going uphill on even the slightest incline, to the point it would stop running. found fuel in the bottom of the air box. Replaced the carb and its running much better but I still have a power loss, just not as dramatic and I am still finding fuel in the bottom of the air box.

On flat surface with one person in it, it will get up to speed no problem, even with the back loaded with 60 plus pounds of tools. However when a second passenger is in it struggles with inclines of any degree.

Not sure where to start with this one.

Any help would be appreciated.
DirtaySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 85 ezgo Marathon fuel/power issue

I don't like that there is fuel in the air cleaner. Fuel moving in the wrong direction indicates too much backpressure from the engine. An easy fix could be a clogged muffler. It could also be reed valves not sealing properly.

Ignoring an engine problem, let's look at other possible causes for loss of power as you describe.

How wide is your drive belt?
1 3/16" is new. Anything less than an inch is junk.

Remove the drive belt from the driven clutch. Try to squeeze the plates together with your hand. You shouldn't get any movement. If you can make the plates lean towards each other with your hand, it's time for a new clutch.

With the cart up on blocks run it. Both clutches should move smoothly with each other. The drive clutch should squeeze all the way together so that the belt rides to the top. The driven clutch should open up, and the belt should move all the way down.

How fast does it really go?
Put a speedometer app on your phone. 12 mph is top speed governed. 18 mph is top speed with the governor disconnected.

What ratio are you mixing your fuel?
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
DirtaySteve
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help

I am running 128:1 ratio for fuel/oil. The belt is old, I assume it needs replaced. I use the cart at work to get around so I will check the clutches tonight when I get time.

The governor is disconnected. Will do speed test tonight by myself and with a passenger to get a comparrison.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:46 PM   #4
DirtaySteve
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quick update. Finally got a chance to look at the belt. It needs replaced asap. Top of belt only measing 7/8. Makes sense on speed reduction.

Did speed test. By myself no cargo no passenger running wide open at about 15mph on flat surface no incline, gov is disconnected. Drops to about 11 on slight angle, and to about 7 on steep incline ramp.

With passenger flat surface tops out at 12, incline drops to 9, steep ramp about 5

Will order new belt, install and perform new speed test.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

How about the spark plug? Drain the tank and put fresh fuel in. Make sure you are using a high quality air cooled 2 cycle oil. Did you do a spark test using a HEI spark tester? Basic tune up first.

When you take the belt off, look at the face of the clutch sheaves, are they smooth and straight? Or do they have a wavy surface?

With the new belt installed: use a black permanent marker and draw several straight lines from the center of the clutch to the outer edge. Take it for a drive. Stop and look at the sheaves, is the entire black line gone? Or how much is gone?

A severely worn belt will make your cart act like it's stuck in a higher gear. This will slow down acceleration, especially uphill.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:25 AM   #6
DirtaySteve
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Update:

Finally got new belt in, used part number HP3004. Got rid of the kick from the clutch engaging, but I rpm increase when takin off is high and takes a bit to get up to speed. I assume the belt needs broke in. I also believe the clutch springs are getting worn. I am able to compress the drive clutch by hand about 3/4 inch.

The spark plug is new, changed it after carb was replaced. Fuel mix is good. Have not done hei spark test.

Clutch sheeves are wavy.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Being able to push the drive clutch in is perfectly normal. Flyweights, and centrifugal force is all it takes to activate the clutch.

You should be more concerned with the driven clutch. Look at my pictures in post #32 of this thread. You should not be able to lean the plates together like I am in the pictures.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=172650&page=4
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO