lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
Bryans200583
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 ezgo txt gas burning up batteries

I have a friend that is having an issue with his ezgo gas cart. He asked me for help but I’m coming to y’all for help. He says he can drive his cart just a little ways maybe a half mile and when he gets back he can hear the battery sizzling. And then a little while later go to ride the cart and the battery is dead. He has tried 3 new different voltage regulators and also took it to a golf cart shop and they supposedly tried putting a new starter/generator on it to see if it fixed it and it didn’t so they put the old one back on it and told him to come get it that they can’t figure out what’s wrong with it. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help
Bryans200583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 ezgo txt gas burning up batteries

Have your friend connect a volt meter to the battery with it running at full speed.

He can jack it up to do this . Just make sure it is safe.

See what the volt meter shows.

Should be around 14.5 volts.

Did he buy the OEM voltage regulators or the cheap ones ?

Is this the OEM starter/generator ?

Are all your grounds clean ? and tight ?
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #3
Bryans200583
Not Yet Wild

Ok I’ll get him to do the voltage check. The regulator he bought was a cheap one then he went back and got the oem one cause people told him that it was the cheap regulator. He’s still running his factory starter. I’ll get him to check the voltage output but I’m pretty sure he said the cart shop checked it and it was between 14-15. I’ll ask again. Thanks
Old 01-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Let me throw out a random thought.

Let's say that your buddy checks the voltages, and everything reads normal. The voltage regulator is working, and the generator is putting out normal.

I would then look to find a short on the positive cables. It seems like the positive side of the battery is finding a premature ground, and welding itself. I would then ask why it doesn't do it all the time. That would indicate the problem is after the solenoid. Maybe the solenoid is shorting when activated.

Maybe I'm completely off base. Just throwing it out there.

Maybe a poor ground is causing high resistance, and heat, but I think that would manifest in other noticeable problems like solenoid not activating, or turning over slow.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #5
Bryans200583
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Let me throw out a random thought.

Let's say that your buddy checks the voltages, and everything reads normal. The voltage regulator is working, and the generator is putting out normal.

I would then look to find a short on the positive cables. It seems like the positive side of the battery is finding a premature ground, and welding itself. I would then ask why it doesn't do it all the time. That would indicate the problem is after the solenoid. Maybe the solenoid is shorting when activated.

Maybe I'm completely off base. Just throwing it out there.

Maybe a poor ground is causing high resistance, and heat, but I think that would manifest in other noticeable problems like solenoid not activating, or turning over slow.
That’s what I told him it seemed like to me also. That there’s a ground somewhere causing that to happen. I just wanted to get some other input from others also. Thanks for your help

Tags
ezgo batteries
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO