lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
M5finally
Not Yet Wild

Default 2015 EZGO TXT onl goes around 12mph

Sorry if that has been posted already. I am new to the electric cart world as well. My parents bought a 2015 EZGO TXT from a mutal friend. The friend stated that he bought the cart from someone who did some modifications to make the cart do 23mph. When I test drove the cart it did that no problem. I then loaded the cart onto a trailer and took it home which was about 20 mins away.

About 2-3 days later my mother took the cart for a ride around the neighborhood. When she got back she stated that she stopped at my house, went inside for a few minutes, then left to go back to her house which is about 2 miles away. When she got into the cart after leaving my house she noticed the cart was a lot slower then before. I then drove the cart and agreed the cart was slower. I used a GPS App and the cart would not go over 12mph and eventually went down to 9 mph.

I tested the batteries and found that while idle it was at 46v. When I was driving the cart went down to 41mph. I dont think the batteries are an issue. Before I start troubleshoot speed sensors and other stuff, has anyone had this exact problem? Also is there a way I can bypass the speed sensor to see if that is the problem before I order a new one?

UPDATE - I will check today again with my multi meter after letting it charge overnight.

Thanks in advance.
M5finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2015 EZGO TXT onl goes around 12mph

Charge batteries completely (overnite) and let rest for 12 hours, then use voltmeter to test pack voltage and each battery's voltage. Post here and let's see what you have.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You posted 46v at rest and 41v under load.
NEVER let the pack get below 48 volts!
Permeant damage will occur.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #4
M5finally
Not Yet Wild

So there is a battery meter and it still claims there is 3/4 battery life. I am guessing it is not trustworthy. The batteries are only 2 years old as well. Also I am using. Fluke 87v meter so the voltage should be dead on. Will check again after I charge them.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That meter will cost you a set of batteries !
It resets full every time it senses the charger - regardless of the charge received.
Get a digital in dash meter. We have some on our website. Use this chart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC new.jpg (96.8 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #6
M5finally
Not Yet Wild

Yea I see that now. The fluke 87v is calibrated so I know that the voltage I read off is correct. We just bought this cart so I learning a little by little. Will look into the dash meters for sure
Old 03-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
Sideways
Gone Wild

Definitely go with Scottyb's digital voltmeter. If you wire it so that it is on all of the time you can watch the charger work as it is charging. (wiring it this way will have very minimal draw on the pack)
Also check the water level in each of the cell's of all the batteries (refill only with distilled water)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Here is a good read on batterys:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152621

Here is the volt meters, cheap way to save batteries:
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
M5finally
Not Yet Wild

So after charging over night and letting rest for almost 10 hours I got this

51v at idle

Under load with the pedal to the metal it dropped to 42v then maintained 44v at 20mph
Old 03-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You said the batteries are 2 years old and the typical life expectancy if from about 2.5 years up to about 4.5 years depending on the local climate and some other factors. (Attach-1)

Also, the batteries are rated at 80°F and lose about 10% of their rated storage capacity for each 20°F below 80°F. (Attach-2)

So your batteries are roughly halfway through their typical lifespan at best and your local overnight temperature is most likely quite a bit less than 80°F. Therefore, the cart's range and performance will be less than what it is during the summer months with batteries in perfect health.

What is the make & model of the batteries?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery life Expectancy Zones.jpg (162.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Temperature vs storage capacity.jpg (52.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO